Howdy Folks

Howdy Folks,

I've been into model railroading since I was a child after my grandpa got me into it. I just recently rediscovered my love for trains and decided to immerse myself into it.

My favorite era would have to be the 1870s-1880s as I just love the steam locomotives of that rime. I've been a history buff for over 30 years and enjoy researching the past. This has served me well when it comes to putting together my first layout. My plan would be to build the St. Louis, Iron Mountain, and Southern Railway route from St. Louis, MO to Piedmont, MO. I chose Piedmont as the end of the line for the route because my family is all from there and Carter County Missouri. My grandpa and his sister in law, my great aunt, would ride the train up to St. Louis every Sunday night and stay in St. Louis to work their jobs. Every night Friday night, they would meet at Union Station and ride the train back to Piedmont to spend the weekend with their families.

My grandma's younger brother worked for the Missouri Pacific up in St. Louis, but I don't know what his job was.

The story of the opening of the railroad depot in Piedmont is quite a tale that involves the governor of Missouri and Jay Gould. The train was due in Piedmont at 9 AM, but due to running out of wood for the locomotive the train was delayed for 5 hours and didn't arrive until 2 PM. Due to the wait, the governor and the majority of the passengers got drunk and partied heavily while in Des Arc. The governor had accidentally threw away his speech for Piedmont while they were stopped at Des Arc, but it was saved by the conductor. To make it easier to be heard, the steam engine and tender uncoupled from the passenger cars and pulled up next to the wood bin and water tower. The fireman is busy doing his job, but the day was really blustery and the wind picked up embers from the firebox and they landed on the water tower. The crowd promptly ignored the governor's speech and watched the water tower burn itself to the ground. Afterwards, the governor just threw the speech away and talked for a few more minutes. People boarded the train and it continued on its way to Popular Bluff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum Ozarks, and welcome back to the hobby. You'll find this is a nice and friendly forum, with some really good modelers here. We'll answer any questions that you may have to the best of our ability, and remember that the only dumb question is the one not asked!

Welcome to the forum, lots of good people and information here. I enjoyed your story, that had to be something to see,,,lol

Wecome Ozarks! Great story One can see how that passed into local legend. There's a lot of good people here ready to answer any questions. We do love to see pictures of each others work. Given your local and time frame yours should be interesting.

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you onboard.

Thanks for sharing some background and your snippet of history, both were fantastic! I am a fan of history myself.

That reminds me of a little thing I use to tell my kids when they were learning to drive. I was never very good with being politically correct or tactful.
See Dick drink, see dick drive, see dick die, don't be a dick, don't drink and drive!
I don't know if drinking had anything to do with the fire, but I bet the governor was not the only one drinking!

I look forward to hearing more from you and any history you want to share will be appreciated!

Back