How to slow down a DC loco

I'm still doing some digging, NWSL has smaller motors as I got one for a tiny Climax from them.
Check your space in the engine for the smallest motor there. 10/12/15 mm (flat/diameter/length)
see if there is room, its not that far off. If some framing material needs slicing off for fit, you may have a winner but do nothing yet but measurements. I am still poking around.

I'll take another look tomorrow. The flat width my be too tight to go up by 2mm. Maybe my measurement was off though.

I just checked and the metal portion of the motor housing is definitely about 8mm. However the width on the plastic portion where the wires solder on is about 10mm. I'm not sure where the measurement is supposed to be taken.

The shell is pretty tight. I looks to be about 9mm max. I really doubt I could fit anything much bigger than the motor I have. It would probably on the actual motor.

So I was able to correspond with the seller that sold me the replacement motor several years ago. He actually runs a repair business that offers free estimates, so I packed up my loco and sent it off to him to have him take a look. Hopefully if the motor is at fault, he'll discount a replacement since I bought it from him originally.

I got a multi-meter for Christmas this year, so before I sent it I took some readings. At about 20% power, the terminal puts out ~2.5 at the terminals. At this power the train moves consistently, but it's already what I would call "very very fast scale speed". At 50% power, I was measuring 8V at the terminals, and the train was moving so quickly that will roll off the tracks in a 22" radius turn.

So I was able to correspond with the seller that sold me the replacement motor several years ago. He actually runs a repair business that offers free estimates, so I packed up my loco and sent it off to him to have him take a look. Hopefully if the motor is at fault, he'll discount a replacement since I bought it from him originally.

I got a multi-meter for Christmas this year, so before I sent it I took some readings. At about 20% power, the terminal puts out ~2.5 at the terminals. At this power the train moves consistently, but it's already what I would call "very very fast scale speed". At 50% power, I was measuring 8V at the terminals, and the train was moving so quickly that will roll off the tracks in a 22" radius turn.

Would've gone well on a slot car track :p

Back