How to hide wires on/under laytout?

My layout will be at shelf height(5'.) The layout will sit on a narrow rail connected to 3 walls. !----! No legs for platform. A desk and low bookcase will be underneath(I live in a mobile home.) I would like ideas about hiding the wires for switches, lights, etc. A 2 layer platform with wires between? Cover the wires underneath with contact paper? :confused: Norman,
stargazing_pilgrim@yahoo.com

I use a cable stapler (note, not a staple gun!) to pin the wires up and out of the way. I make sure that the setting on the stapler is such that it doesn't pinch the wires.

You can also try some wire loom covers that you can pick up at Wallyworld cheap in the automotive department. Bundle all the wires and run them inside the wire loom. There are clips that will snap around the loom and can be screwed or stapled up under the shelf.

Hiding wires

Hello!
Why not make the layout like a box? With the tracks and landscape on the top, Then the bottom will hide and protect the cables and if you have any switch motors. If the bottom will be visible you can make the bottom in any material that will fit your home.

My layout will be at shelf height(5'.) The layout will sit on a narrow rail connected to 3 walls. !----! No legs for platform. A desk and low bookcase will be underneath(I live in a mobile home.) I would like ideas about hiding the wires for switches, lights, etc. A 2 layer platform with wires between? Cover the wires underneath with contact paper? :confused: Norman,

Norman- Don't use that girly contact paper stuff!
Real men only use duct tape.:D
Mikey

Panduit raceway is the ticket for you! I've used the Panduit LDPH Surface Raceway (Non-Metalic), but they make all kinds of similar products. Here is their website (the wire management page)

http://www.panduit.com/Products/ProductOverviews/SurfaceRacewaySystems/index.htm

They require a pretty large purchase, but if you find the product you want and then do a web search you can often buy smaller amounts with all the proper elbows, fittings and such. Try a company called Graybar and they can probably fix you up for a decent price. The stuff isn't the cheapest, but it's easy to use and gives very professional looking results.

I plan on using Melamine on hinges, only problem is that I ordered it with my other construction supplies, and like an idiot hung it on the wall (melamine is what is used on dry erase boards) so I now have a 4x8 dry erase board that I'm reluctant to cut up...

I still say the flexible black plastic wire loom for automotive wiring is the cheapest and easiest way to do what you want.

The way I did my wiring harness was with small zip ties. About every 6" I put a tie and it did not look to bad. But that layouot was portable and most of the time the harness could not be seen.

I still say the flexible black plastic wire loom for automotive wiring is the cheapest and easiest way to do what you want.

Jim,

Do you have a link to that sort of thing so I could take a look at what it is?

Thanks!

I think he's talking about this stuff. You can get it at most auto parts stores, hardware stores, heck, I think even WalMart has it.

wireloom.jpg

That's the stuff, Phillip. Cheap, easily available, and effective. Walmart does have it as well as any automotive store. Raceways are also nice but they can get expensive really quick.

There are a few things I can suggest,
1) Cut a thin piece of wood and angle it from the outside edge of the layout base down on an angle too the wall this should hide the wires anbd everything else under the shelf layout.

2) A long section of black plastic screen stapled in a loose hanging fashion would hide the wires.

3) Add a secound layer of wood under the layout sandwhiching the wire works between the two and close the side gap with a nice peice of crown molding.

4) Buy some mailing tubes, cut them in half and hot glue them up under the bench work with the wires inside, paint them to match the wall and there you go.

5) a simple short curtain on a stretched curtain sping could work.

It all depends on how much work, materials and cash you want too put into it, the above solutions are cheap.

Good luck and klet us know how it turned out.

Jess Red Horse.

Back