How Do You Diagnose/Fix Locos That Don't Run?

Marlin338MX

Yesterday I decided to test all of my locos. They've been stored since bought new more than 20 years ago, and about half of them don't work, while others run just fine. My next step is to service all of them and hopefully get the non-working locos to run. I've ordered the proper model train lube and grease, so waiting for it to arrive in the mail this week.

My question is, how do you diagnose and fix the locos that don't run?

Last edited:
Yesterday I decided to test all of my locos. They've been stored since bought new more than 20years ago, and about half of them don't work, while others run just fine. My next step is to service all of them and hopefully get the non-working locos to run. I've ordered the proper model train lube and grease, so waiting for it to arrive in the mail this week.

My question is, how do you diagnose and fix the locos that don't run?
The grease in the gears of your trucks might have harden over the years. Clean them and grease them again. Also check for cracked gears. All my Atlas locos had cracked gears where the wheel axle was inserted.

I was asked to help with a Lionel locomotive that wouldn't run.
He told me he had this 2028 Lionel train to set up under the Christmas tree. The power pack had power but the loco wouldn't move. He brought the loco, the power pack and a few pieces of track in a plastic tub for me to take home to repair. When I took a quick look at it, I saw the problem right away before I even picked anything up. The power pack was wired directly to the uncoupling ramp. I asked him if that was how he had the wire connected to test the loco? Yep. Is there a little box with this train set that has a big red button with the Lionel letter "L" on it? Yep. Ahhhhh, OK. Try the other snap on connector to the track and it'll be OK. Put the push botton box in series with wires from the power pack so your uncoupling ramp works momentarily but don't hold that button down for a long time. Uhhh, OK.

Thanks for the replies!

I have 2 older Bachmann power packs that my dad bought 20+ years ago, and they work just fine. But I bought a Railpower 1370 a couple months ago. I'll be using the Atlas terminal connectors on my layout.

These are 4 of the locos that run real good

PXL_20231113_124122595.jpg

Back