How do you calculate the size ?

JWR

How do you calculate the size ?//// SOLVED !

Hello Everyone,

Before I begin, I have goggled for 2 days with no results. So I decided to ask in a forum. Thanks in advance for any clarification of the matter.

I understand what Narrow Gauge is and the difference between scale & gauge. For instance, I want to model in On18, and I know that it will run on N-scale track to represent 18" gauge and that my figures and structures will be in 1:48 O-scale.

Here is what I can't figure out. It's Narrow Gauge so I know that my locomotives and rolling stock will typically be smaller than 'standard gauge'. Is there a mathematical formula to determined the size to build in, to reduce from standard gauge ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your loco and cars will be 1/48th as big as real 18" gauge equipment. If you are modeling 18" gauge industrial railroad, divide measurements by 48. If you are modeling scaled down amusement park trains in O scale use N scale equipment since 18" is about 1/3 standard gauge. 1/48th of 1/3 is 1/144, close to N scale's 1/160.

I think that's what you are asking if not let me know.

Yeah, your question is a bit difficult to follow. There is no common conversion from standard to narrow gauge. Equipment that serves the same purpose in different gauges are not typically proportionate because the thing that does not change size are the people using it. A chair or a door are still going to be the same size, even if the rails are closer together and the rest of the locomotive or car are smaller. A person still has to be able to use it.

So if you're scratch building 18" gauge equipment in O scale, either try to find 18" gauge examples in the real world, or just totally make it up as you go along. I suspect there weren't a lot of manufactured 18" gauge items in the world and anything in that gauge was probably custom built on the spot for whatever it was going to be used for. Go for what looks about right and you'll probably be really close ;)

The member here by the name Tooter might have lots of info for you. There's also someone else (could be Tooter too, come to think of it ...) that has an O scale 18" gauge mini layout that looks pretty fun.

Thank you 'both'. (and it's going to be a minature railroad like in an amusement park)

Both your comment's make sense and I suspected it was also a lot to do with build it so it looks right. Anyway, as I said 2 day's with google and nothing. Come on this forum and it's a done deal.

A lot of narrow gauge equipment looks like it's top-heavy, and could tip over easily, because of the small axles underneath them. In building free lance stuff for a layout, there is a balance to be struck between that "just-right look" and "oh, that looks like a toy".

Back