how die hard are you for modeling?

I've done just about all the Xacto accidents, the nastiest was both times i had an xacto chisel shatter while pressing down on it a little too hard. Had to pull a little chunk of metal out of my finger last time. A quick wash in the sink and a band aid later, and i was back at work! After over four years working with sheet metal, a little xacto knife feels like a mosquito bite!

my mom had her hand crushed between two sheets of metal she works with the heavy stuff like 1/2-1 inch range her hand is alright now

Do yourself a favor: Use superglue to seal the cut, that way you don't waste your modeling time. It's flexible and won't bleed though like a bandaid :cool:

I had an ER nurse (no, it wasn't modeling related) tell me once that superglue was actually invented for the military as a way to seal wounds shut on the battlefield.

12 stiches in right hand when my dics sander ripped thru my knuckle.
I was sanding one of my free-mo modules for a show. There was a finish nail sticking up thru the top that the dics sander got stuck on and jump up.

I think its actually an age and experience issue. When I was younger I just to try any tool if I didn't have the right one. Now I always try to use the right tool like that glad hand bender to get my glad hands right. With experience you learn the right tool can get the job done quicker and usually more accurately.

Of course this object lesson took me 15 years to learn. ;)

In my younger days I used to fly R/C planes for competition....I was once "tuning" a motor (.5 hp at 12K rpms...) when I happened to stick my finger into the propeller arch......Instant blood and gore all over the place...I quickly got an oil/gas soiled rag, wound it around my bleeding fingers, and proceeded to fly. After a while my buddies talked me into going to a local clinic to get it taken care of. My right index finger is missing about 1/4" of flesh at the tip....:D

I like modeling a scene and weathering buildings but the real thing that I thing adds the most interest is lights and motion. Like Walther's horse head oil pump. Or lighted automated crossing signals like the ones on www.tmidigital.com

LOL great stories.
Yeh I always try to look at the soldering iron not the work when I pick up the hot iron. after that one time...
and since it was mentioned I can never forget that smell of burning flesh.
Only good thing is the scar tissue between your first two fingers doesn't burn quite as bad when you do it again...and again... LOL

A question a little off target

Hey has anyone used what they call suitcase connectors for your wiring? And where can you get them? I see everyone talk about them but I can't find them at Lowe's or Home Depot.

i wouldnt advise using them after a while they will need to be replaced because they loose contact. but if you absolutely must have them you can find them at your local automotive parts house just go up to the counter and ask for them or even at walmart in the automotive department

you know those disc's that dremel sell's? not the rough ones that cut metal
but the smooth real thin ones.. well if you tweek one at 10,000 rpm while
cutting something they EXPLODE!!!
luckly i was wearing safty glasses but my cheek still hurts!

For years I've sealed cuts and open blisters with super glue. That stuff is magic. I saw that on a Red Hot Chili Peppers video from the late 80s and used Flea's method for the entire time I played music.

As far as the horrors of Xacto blades are concerned, I have many scars on my hands and have had a couple end up pointed end down into my thighs. Soldering irons, not so much. I grabbed one when I was 7 and have never had trouble knowing which end was the hot end since!

For years I've sealed cuts and open blisters with super glue. That stuff is magic. I saw that on a Red Hot Chili Peppers video from the late 80s and used Flea's method for the entire time I played music.

As far as the horrors of Xacto blades are concerned, I have many scars on my hands and have had a couple end up pointed end down into my thighs. Soldering irons, not so much. I grabbed one when I was 7 and have never had trouble knowing which end was the hot end since!

I wonder if regular superglue is sanitary. I have a friend that is an ER nurse and he said they have some kind of glue like superglue they use to quickseal some wounds. I wonder if its the same stuff?

is regular superglue sanitary who knows but it apparently hasnt killed any of us yet so you shouldnt have to worry

I wonder if regular superglue is sanitary. I have a friend that is an ER nurse and he said they have some kind of glue like superglue they use to quickseal some wounds. I wonder if its the same stuff?

the stuff they use for medical and military has a antibacterial in it.

In the context of my music playing days, I'd say it's more sanitary than an open wound in a dive bar!

However, your friend is correct. The ER super glue is a different chemical composition, though it operates on the same principle.

oh!!! never... EVER use a pair of pliers or a multi tool to open your last bottle of glue when the cap is glued on tight... just get up and go to walmart and get another bottle...

20 minutes with a leatherman glued to my right hand was a rather interesting experience... I managed to get all 3 dogs inside, and was getting ready to drive myself to the ER when, it just fell off...

I heard a story about a modeler that was using his leg as a cutting board to cut some sheet plastic (actually score it). The knife slipped and cut into his leg, through the femoral artery and he bled to death.

I do not know how true this is, but it is believeable.

i am sure it is posible in fact most of my major incidents have happened within close proximaty of an artery. lucky me i missed it every time (knock on wood)

Back