How am I doing?

blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
This is my second attempt at custom making two freelance Norfolk Southern locos. The first attempt was to embarrasing to post :eek: The first picture is the one shell right after stripping the original paint. The next is after a coat of gloss and the first set of decals. The third and fourth is my progress up to now. I still need to finish the frame stripe on the other unit, finish the number boards, then spray some dullcoat.

Here are photos of the two locos I am using as a guideline/reference. I caught these shots earlier this year. They were running a switch op right behind the plant where I work.

With some dullcoat, they'll look really nice. My only suggestion is, assuming you don't want them to look like they came out of the paint shop yesterday, it to tone down the yellow safety paint on the handrails. You can see for prototype photos that the yellow gets dirty and fades pretty fast, even on otherwise pretty clean engines. I'd use the same color yellow but mix about 1 part rust to five parts yellow. It will make them stand out a little less and also help camoflauge the oversize BB handrails.

Josh, Jim,
Thankyou so much for your kind words! I do intend to dullcote both of them once I am finished. They are to shiny at the moment:D When I bought the yellow for the handrails, I chose this yellow because the other yellows at my LHS seemed too dull. Maybe it would have been the better choice after all. Jim, I will give your idea a try. I will keep you posted! Thanks again, Steve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back