How about rescuing, rebuilding, and refinishing some old stuff, or "toy" stuff ?

JimT

I have an idea for a fun project. As I have been “going through” my old stuff I have found a few TYCO, Life Like and the like cars (even a Varney 34’ hopper!), A couple of USRA style box cars, three tank cars, a couple of flats and a caboose or two. Chances are I’ll find a couple more pieces. I want to share a “renew and upgrade” thread based on this stuff.

As some may know I’ve had mucho health problems in the past year major operation and lots of anesthetics which along with neuropathy in my hands, especially the right one have brought me a “new normal” I need to learn to work with, and man do I need to practice! I am blessed as I have just about everything I need except metal wheels.
I am having trouble getting picture hosting working but I’m sure I’ll overcome that soon enough. Are there enough interested members to make this a worthwhile project? I’m already stripping the paint off the cars, should I document everything and start with the project?

I did this stuff and it was great fun in the 1970’s and 80’s and was proud of my work. I love to share what I can remember of my techniques and learn some more. What say you folks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim,

Any and all projects are worth doing and will surely be of interest to those of us who are still learning these things. I can also see it being therapeutic for you, if your enthusiasm is any indication.

I look forward to seeing your work and learning.

First post, paint stipping. Its the "sixies" all over as I am using Dot 3 brake fluid to strip these older cars. Later in my career I used lots of Scalecote paint stipper but I can't find it now I'm guessing it's unavailable. The brake fluid works on the older models, I understand it often damages newer models. It's fine on the old stuff.

I think the vast majority of my rolling stock is "old" and "Toy" stuff, so I will be watching this thread with great interest!

should I document everything and start with the project?

I did this stuff and it was great fun in the 1970’s and 80’s and was proud of my work. I love to share what I can remember of my techniques and learn some more. What say you folks?

Good idea for a thread!! I would like to watch your process. I have a free locomotive that I want to repaint, and eventually would like to go over a bunch of my freight cars and detail them.

Wombat, thanks for the info on the stripper. I called Klien and they are actually out of stock and will get more around the first of the year. To save on shipping I want to get three containers, which will oblitherate my budget next month.

NOTE does anyone know where I can get some glass for windows? I used to use microscope slides, is this still appropriate?

Finally I found some Harriman passenger cars, not Roundhouse, but appear to be "Playart" Hong Kong. These are nice looking 50' cars, two coaches and a tail car. They need body mount couplers, windows, and paint, good rescue material.

I just this evening took apart my first loco in nearly 40 years. It was Riveraossi or some such. Never heard of it before. I used to rebuild my old n-scale stuff all the time without a thought. The only thing I remember was I used LaBelle's oils and greases and those things ran like watches.
The loco I took all apart today was foreign to me so I was jumping into dark waters. Come to find out this thing is drive shaft driven and the drive shafts are missing. I remember worm gears and such.
A couple of others seemed liked they want to run but are just gummed up from sitting in a dank dark basement for the 40 years or so. Now I need to learn how to dis-assemble HO stuff. Thank goodness I still have all my itty bitty screwdrivers.

But for those that don't have screws, how do I take them apart?
Eric.

When there are no "screws" I find there are usually hidden plastic snaps. Squeeze em a little usually the piece with tell you where it's being held together.

When there are no "screws" I find there are usually hidden plastic snaps. Squeeze em a little usually the piece with tell you where it's being held together.

Awesome, I just upgraded to "switchman".
What do I squeeze and where? The chassis?

Generally the hold down snaps are found at the front and rear of loco's and the ends of freight cars.

I'm making progress. Allowing for the fact that I need to find some ScaleCote "Wash Away" I am still using the quart or so of Brake Fluid I started with. ScaleCote should be available again after the first of the year. Currently I have 2 USRA 40' Box Cars stripped, One stock car, and 2 34' tank cars. As soon as I get the photo hosting solved I'll post a bunch of pic's.

Looking my plans are to replace the molded hand grabs with metal. I'll also be looking into metal ladders and brake wheels. Luckily I have some older packages of MDC freight trucks. I'll even be converting everything to kadee body mounts. I am anxious to order metal wheels, I believe I've settled on Intermountain wheels although I'm still open to other advice.

Another modeler told me he uses Easy Off oven cleaner to strip paint off his cars. He sprays the cars, puts them in a plastic sandwich bag, and then rinses it off. I haven't tried it yet, but am planning on it for a project next summer.

Great thread Jim!

One of the first things I did in this hobby was to buy and restore some of the Tyco and Life-Like things I had in the 70s.

My very first train, not the original, I lost that after my divorce. It is my first project and very special to me.

PC241542.jpg

I have been rebuilding some Mantua 28-30 ft boxcars that I have acquired at various train shows. The cars were stripped using alcohol solvent from a hardware store. The yellow car is basically a stock shell. The red roof car has the rivet lines on the metal roof removed and replaced with plastic strips to make a metal roof car with battens. The other four had the roofs sanded smooth and an Evergreen car siding applied to represent a wood roof. Two of the cars received flush roof walks and 2 raised roof walks on Tichy supports. Two cars have side grabs, one car will have a wood end ladder and the last has end grabs. The white strip in the door ways is a piece of plastic strip that is attached so I can glue the floor to it.

30ft Cars.jpg

For each car a scratch built an underframe from .040 plastic sheet and various sizes of Evergreen plastic strips. The cars have mostly Tichy queen posts, brake cylinders, and turnbuckles. Truss rods are .013 fishing monofilament. The bolsters are drilled and tapped for 2-56 truck mounting screws. I have attached KD #58 coupler pockets.

Underframes.jpg

Each car will get Tahoe Model Works 5 ft wheel base arch bar trucks with code 88 wheelsets. I still have to install brake wheels, doors, weights, and a few other details. The cars will be painted and lettered with Art Griffin Decals. Still lots to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this thread ! Everyone keep joining in ... Please. The price of rolling stock today is crazy... at the LHC it looks like $25.00 plus dollars, that won't work for me as I actually want freight and passenger cars on my tracks !

As an engineer (electrical) I hear this all the time and I always have to go check. Let's see... in 1970 a Lionel Train Set (steam engine, tender, three cars, a small oval track) was $49.99. Using a cost calculator, $49.99 1970s dollars in 2014 is $304.26. That can purchase you a new HO train set with a few more cars, tack and a controller. I will admit, the "same" Lionel train set is about $40 more at $340, but also consider the quality of the motor, controller, sounds, (did I say sounds? yes those old ones had no sound) directional lighting, better smoke (less likely to kill you), detailing, etc.

As for rolling stock, modeltrainstuff always seems to have them in the clearance section for roughly $13-$14. I was in this hobby a long time ago, and I recall it being expensive then, saving my pennies for months to get a car or some scenery that was no where near the detail we have now. Just a thought.

I love this thread ! Everyone keep joining in ... Please. The price of rolling stock today is crazy... at the LHC it looks like $25.00 plus dollars, that won't work for me as I actually want freight and passenger cars on my tracks !

Back