HO Scale Layout Suggestions

Sweet-Chuck

Okay, so if any of ya'll would be willing to offer suggestions....our layout seems a bit boring to me. Aside from not having many structures in place, I'm trying to get the track plan good so I can begin the transition to dcc.

I do plan on doing more with terrain, but it still seems a bit.....plain.

the pictures start from the 'right side', then the middle and finally the 'left side'.
The area is an L shape aprox 12 x 12...each end is 4 ft square.

thanks-
S-C

Okay, so if any of ya'll would be willing to offer suggestions....our layout seems a bit boring to me. Aside from not having many structures in place, I'm trying to get the track plan good so I can begin the transition to dcc.

I do plan on doing more with terrain, but it still seems a bit.....plain.

the pictures start from the 'right side', then the middle and finally the 'left side'.
The area is an L shape aprox 12 x 12...each end is 4 ft square.

thanks-
S-C

Here's another pic going towards the loops on the left side.....

One of the most important elements of an interesting layout is a reason for being. While I can't see your whole layout, what I can see looks like there is no purpose for the track plan. Not to be mean, but it looks like a lot of track that was laid out to let trains run around.

You need to give some thought to what kind of scenes and industry you want to represent. You have ample space available to build a very interesting layout. There are plenty of books and websites that cover track plans for operations or just watching the trains run. Spend some time reading and then planning a layout that covers at least some of your interests.

If you are going to spend time and money building a layout, you will want one that will hold your interest for quite sometime. The time spent planning will pay dividends for a long time to come. Plus, it is also an enjoyable part of the hobby that costs very little.

I'm posting this as constructive criticism and is meant to be helpful. Look at some of the work folks here have done for ideas. Ask questions about technique, wiring or whatever. I think that you would get a lot of help here and many helpful suggestions. Set your sights high, Bob.

I think the most obvious thing is the plywood world that you built on. You have things sitting "on" the plywood surface. Break up the geometric plane with terrain features that your track run has to negotiate and you will see your layout come a bit more alive. Cut away the plywood that isn't supporting track and replace that area with material that supports scenery. Use old screen door mesh and drywall mud to create your world of hills and valleys. Mix natural ground coloring into the drywall mud so chips in scenery don't look like newspaper strewn around the country side.

I'll second Bob's thoughts. You have a lot of track that doesn't seem to have any purpose other than to let the trains go 'round and 'round. Also, you have plenty of space, but with the benchwork you have now I'd be concerned about reach. Anything over two feet starts to get questionable...three feet and you're looking at knocking over or damaging stuff at the front of the layout as you lean over to uncouple trains on a siding or deal with the derailment three feet away.

Look at some track plans, and make a few decisions about the era, industries, and locale you want to model. The idea is to get some focus so you know where the trains are going and what they'll do when they get there. As an example I'll use my own track plan. In a 5x9 space I have found room to build up a train in the yard, move it out onto the mainline, and then switch several industries. (I've posted it in another thread, looking for feedback -- I'm a beginner as well.)

Several of the "dogbone" style layouts at http://www.thortrains.net/4holayx.html would give you a good starting point.

Thomas

"Not to be mean, but it looks like a lot of track that was laid out to let trains run around." @Burlington Bob: no offense taken. That is exactly what I was looking for. There are certainly things I WANT to do, but will take time (and money) to do so. Besides, the round and round part is somewhat planned as that's what the children enjoy!

@ wheels 70: can you send me the link to your inquiry with your 5 x 9?

Thanks all-
Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:

Back