HO scale autoracks

ThoroughBreed

Dcc~detail~diesel freak
Has anyone tried to enclose the Accurail autoracks? or maybe know of a kit to do that? I have 4 of them to do that to. I have 2 that have partial enclosures on them, but I want to be able to finish the enclosed racks.
Also, does anyone know of a kit to turn the standard Athearn 89' flats into the autoracks? I would also like to try and do that, as I have 5 extra of them.

Athearn's are 85' flats, so that won't work so well.

Custom Rail rack kits could work on other brands of 89' flats, there's one on eBay now.

I realize after my initial post about the athearn cars not being correct length. I looked on ebay and couldn't find the kit you mentioned.
I decided that it was gonna require some kitbashing, so I'm gonna break out the cardstock and try and get a pattern for the sides. I'm gonna have to remove the decks as they extend all the way out to the sides and will have to be trimmed down to make room for the walls. Once that is done then I can make the walls, and then the roof for it. I realise the roof will also have to have legs to make up the difference in height that the new cars have. I may also go roofless, as there is still some cars roaming around like that.
I remember seeing a site somewhere, a while back, where someone had made the walls and top for this kit but cant find it. If Accurail ever released a kit to convert their kits, theyd make a fortune.

Plano makes etched/stamped metal side inserts for autoracks. You'll still have to kitbash the roof and end doors. Not sure if they will fit the accurail cars without some modification though. Thay are designed to fit walthers cars.

I too would love to see Accurail release their auto rack kits with side panels,roof and end doors,they would make a fortune with those kits.

Back