HO scale airliners...a pipe dream...

MRFRik

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses to my first thread (modern era school)!

I have, for quite some time, been looking into model airliners that are (close to) HO scale.

While the idea of having a perfect HO scale model of a CRJ-200/700/900, Dash 8-200/300/400 (not the locomotive!), Boeing 737-200/Classic/NG, ATR 42/72, and A318/19/20/21 is VERY appealing, I have yet to find much in ANY aircraft, except for the Herpa Cessna 172, and a few military aircraft.

Because of the broader appeal to non-model railroad afficionados, I realize marketing in the more generic scale of 1/90 might be the way to go. The differences in size are, at these scales, pretty much undetectable.

I have went as far as inquiring to a Chinese manufacturer (Teamy Gift: http://www.teamygift.com) )about doing 1/90 scale, but I cannot alone afford the cost of doing each series at a run of 100 @ $15- $20 USD each (cost price, not retail).

Any modeller that does modern layouts, especially when themed around big cities, must surely feel the same pain I do.

Does anyone else think that this (admittedly somewhat niche market within the hobby) is a legitimate request?

Much as I think 1:87 scale jet airliners would look pretty cool, I don't think there's enough of a market to enable anybody to make a profit from manufacturing them. They take up a large amount of space, especially if you want to have them in their normal 'habitat' (e.g. an airport). Most of us mrr's have enough of a challenge just finding enough space to fit our trains without making them look toylike, let alone squeezing in an airport ;)

Just my .02 ...

I use to have an airport on the layout before this one I have now. The runway was 5ft long & it sat on the back of a mountain on the corner of my layout. The layout then was 18 by 18ft. I also had a hangar & a rest.w/tower. Only had enough space for about 5 small planes. I also had about 20 planes flying in the sky above the layout. Most are 1/72nd scale. Now, no airport, but there's about 20 planes in the air. Have a DC3, a B17 & a bunch of small civilian & military aircraft. I've been looking for a DC8, DC9, 727, 737 or a 747 for about 2 years to hang above the layout w/no luck. My ceiling is 12ft high at the walls & 14ft high at the center. I've also been looking for a blimp & a cpl. of hot air baloons w/no luck. Everytime I find a hobbyshop that carries a lot of model planes I stop.
Even contacted Revell, Monogram & a few others. Airfix said they had some, but, they weren't 1/72.

I model a 1:72 scale fire and rescue airfield on a shelf across from my HO scale railroad. When I start building my layout (just moved, looking for work and a house...) I'm gonna have the main gate on the railroad, with 2 old aircraft out front. A rail spur will eventually run across and over to the airfield, where there will be a commuter station, and a small yard for the regional "fire train". I dont plan to have the space for runways, etc. just some buildings, and alot of ramp space.

here's a few pictures from long, long ago, in my old trailer. The "Airfield" at that point was actually on my railroad bench work since I didnt have enough room to run trains.

Control Tower
DSC02855.jpg

Aerial view:
Aerialview.jpg

Fueling a HH-1V after a training mission:
DSC02890.jpg

MVA that happened near by, and the Base Emergency Services responded (corvette run under the rear of an 18-wheeler:
DSC02928.jpg

Yes, I purposly left the rotor blades off all of them. They break off so easily, I jsut build the rotor head and tail rotors.

It would be nice to have a ERJ-145, and some other civilian aircraft besides Cessna's. Granted, it would be more likely to see them in 1:72 scale, but if one could accept the compromise, the HO scalers and the aircraft modelers just might be able to convince the model makers to do it. If there's a 1:72 scale B-52 available, there's no reason some of the more common passenger planes can't be feasible...

Some years ago, Walthers released an HO scale DC-3 (I think) in both civilian and military guises. Anyone ever get one of those?

Some years ago, Walthers released an HO scale DC-3 (I think) in both civilian and military guises. Anyone ever get one of those?

No I never got one because they were $49.95 in kit form. They only made them for a few years because of lagging sales. Every once in a while I see one on Ebay & they go for a high bid, usually around 60 bucks. The 1/72 version is real close to the one that Walthers sold. I have one from BigLots that I bought about 4 years ago & it's real close to HO scale. It was a static model w/a windup base that made the props spin. The B17 was the same way. Hanging up in my train room on an almost invisible black wire is an eye catcher.

Walthers also made a set of P51's in 1/87. Here are a set i built a few months back, all airbrushed.
DSC_0166.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

There are tons of combat aircraft available in 1/72 scale, which would be close enough for HO, but almost no airliners at all. There's an F-27 Friendship at http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/arx/arx05003.htm \, a DHC-2 Beaver at http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hcc/hcchc1330.htm, a Concorde at http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hlr/hlr52903.htm, and a C-47/DC-3 at http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/ita/ita0127.htm. Other than a few Cessna GA aircraft, that's about it for non-combat aircraft. Modeling airliners is a niche to begin with and, at 1/72 scale, it's really a niche. Seems like everyone want combat aircraft. :(

Nice P-51, CG51. My uncle flew them in the ETO and was an ace with 7 kills and two probables, so the P-51 has always held a special place in my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
HO Scale Airliners

Hello everyone I'm new around here in fact this is my very first post. I thought I would chime in since airline modeling is my other hobby. Revel re-released the old MONOGRAM 1/90th DC-3 in PSA markings a few years ago. Reasonably priced and should be easy to find. Even though ancient, it is generally regarded to be the best shaped of all the DC-3 models. I also have an older C-47 version I got at a swap meet a few years ago. I also know of some custom decals available if anyone is interested. I understand that the Walter's kit is larger in some demensions and smaller in others. To my way of thinking that makes the Revel close enough. I plan on using the DC-3 next to a Burger King. There is a McDonald's in New Zealand with one!

Also, check out Hallmark Christmas ordiments, their small planes tend to be HO. For 2009 they have a nice twin Cessna. After Xmas, you can pick them up 1/2 off. Check out the Base Boat also!

Gary B

Thanks for the comment Jim, My dad and i are heavely involved with warbirds, my first ride in was in a P51 at age 16, a buddy of mine owns one in the markings that i did the model in, here is a picture i shot while we were at a flyin. Enjoy
DSC_0594.jpg

I know Monogram or Revell used to have a 1/72d scale 737 because I built the thing when I was in Junior High or High School (late 70s, early 80s).

In Port Charlotte south of me is a hobby shop that carries a large asst. of planes & ships. he looked up in his catalog a 737 in 1/72nd scale & the price was close to $59.95 & he said he would order one for me, but I would have to pay the $15.00 postage. Didn't need it that bad. I go to a lot of garage sales in the winter months & I might find one for 5 bucks or less. No hurry.

Actually, the Aurora 737 and DC-9 were both 1/72 scale. I know Monogram also released the 737 kit later. Both are getting rare and expensive. There a company called Proteus (sp?) that you can find under Welsh models web site that has several 1/72 scale airliners, A320, 737 and a Convairliner more promised, but they are $$$$$. There are several older kits in about 1/100 that I thing would work better with HO. The trick would be to get the right era and airliners for it to make sense at your airfield. If you're like me you may get de-railed and find yourself an airline modeler instead of a model railroader.

Doesn't Kibri or Roco make 1/87 planes? I think I remember seeing some a few years back in the Walther's catalog.

Bob

Nope, nothing at the Walthers web site about Kibri or Roco and airplanes. The only ones listed Herpa, with a bunch of 1/500th scale airliners, most of which are either special order or are being discontinued when sold out. 1/500th might be OK for an airport if you want them in the back so you can use selective compression but they wouldn't look too good, even with N or Z scale buildings. All the other planes ar 1/72 or 1/200 combat aircraft, mostly WWII German.

CG51, my uncle actually bought a P-51 in about 1960 and converted it to a two seater. It was an ex-Nebraska ANG plane that was one number off for the serial number of the plane he flew in Europe. I had many a fun ride in that airplane. He really knew how to pull the G's. I'd probably puke all over the place if I tried it today. :eek: He owned it until 1985, when his high blood pressure made him fail the physical for his license renewal. He's 87 years old now and one of the fast diminishing group of WWII P-51 pilots. :(

Yes, Jim, it was Herpa. They are the ones big into military reproduction. The catalog I have here is about 7-8 years old maybe older as the cover is long gone. So, most likely, the planes could have been discontinued. They also advertised C47's, ME109's, Hienkels, Stukas, Spitfires, and B26's. I didn't see any commercial planes listed. All were 1/87th scale.

Bob

I just checked the Revell web site and there are no modern airliners listed. Lots of combat aircraft and weird Star Wars stuff, but no airliners. The closest I could find was a 1/77 scale Ford Trimotor, so I guess that qualifies, depending on your era. :)

Back