HO MU cable accessory detail

BigE

I got my Details West MU-266 MU clusters painted and ready to mount.
Someone suggested also adding the MU-236 cable.
What's the difference between that one and the MU-221 package?

Figure if I'm going to add the cluster hoses, might as well add the main cable as well.
Don't ya think?
E

I got my Details West MU-266 MU clusters painted and ready to mount.
Someone suggested also adding the MU-236 cable.
What's the difference between that one and the MU-221 package?

Figure if I'm going to add the cluster hoses, might as well add the main cable as well.
Don't ya think?
E
I haven't looked them up, but most modern MU cable sets have three cables on each side of the pilot, and a single large cable attached either just under the walkway or just above the coupler. It generally is attached at one end, and has a dummy receptacle to keep it from being damaged when not plugged in. The three hose sets are generally black with silver connections, and most cables I have seen have been blue or red (and pretty dirty).

I haven't looked them up, but most modern MU cable sets have three cables on each side of the pilot, and a single large cable attached either just under the walkway or just above the coupler. It generally is attached at one end, and has a dummy receptacle to keep it from being damaged when not plugged in. The three hose sets are generally black with silver connections, and most cables I have seen have been blue or red (and pretty dirty).

I got the hose cluster sets all handled.
My question is about the big single cable.
MU-221 vs. MU-236 - what's the difference?
236 appears to have an receptacle - why or what's it for?

Regardless, I'm assuming a single cable goes on each end?
Coincidentally, this stuff is also going on that GP38 I got from you earlier in the year.
E

Also how do you use those teeny drill bits?
Do you just finger-twist them?

Surely you don't put them in a Dremel. Seems like it would get away from you?
E

Hey Big E. The big MU cable is used to link one or more locomotives together. It's often called the main bus cable that transfers power from the lead locomotives to others in the consist. Answer two. A tool called a pin vise is best for small drill bits. I think Kadee makes one, and I can 't remember,but I think Mascot Tools has one as well. You can use small drill bits in a dremel motor tool,but you will need an adapter head for them. I hope this helps.
William.

I meant to ask, what locomotive are you installing MU hoses on? I will say this,I do know how tedious it is to detail parts on a locomotive. Oh yeah,been there,done that.:). William.

There's alot of talk about MU cables on diesel locomotives but there's been no pix. Here's one of Santa Fe loco showing all the cables & the brake pipe hose. The latter is a very important one as it provides the air to operate the trains air brakes. Click on the image to enlarge it.

Brake Pipe Hose, Mu Cables & Power Cable.bmp-001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I meant to ask, what locomotive are you installing MU hoses on? I will say this,I do know how tedious it is to detail parts on a locomotive. Oh yeah,been there,done that.:). William.

I have several candidates:
CSX SD40-2
UP GP38-2
SF GP38
UP DDA40X
CSX SD70ACe [on pre-order]

Maybe 1 other but undecided as yet.
E.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy's photo illustrates just how dirty those red cables get in use.

Certainly explains why they plug the power cable into a dummy socket when not in use.

You guys who have been able to get up close and personal with, and work around, these machines are a fortunate bunch.
For the life of me I have no clue what got me on this kick of adding MU hose/cable details to my "boys".
More than likely I was having one of those "what else can I do" days and saw some pics and piqued my interest and took off from that.

In a twist of irony, when I first considered adding these details I asked if it was really worth it and "would anyone except rivet counters and experts even really notice". Here I am less than 2 weeks later and I can assure it will be the first thing I look for next time I see some one else's engines.

So I'm sitting here this morning "window shopping" around for more details in general and have found 3 other detail makers.
I came across some of those cooling fans. How cool would those look on my GP38s and SDs I thought.
Anyone have experience doing that?
Seems like it would let a noise out from inside the shell having those holes cut in.
Just musing at this point. Guess, I'm having another of those "what else can I do" moments.
E.

Back