HO 2-bay engine house

BigE

I'm thinking adding a 2nd line to my solo spur and put an engine house on it.
The building I'm looking at is the Pikestuff 541-0008 40'x80' model.
I only use this line to park engines when not in use so as not to clutter up the yard lines.
What do you guys think? Would I be crowding it too much?
The small ruler is a 6" scale and the tape is pulled out roughly 2' or so.
E.
PA130030.jpgPA130029.jpg~

Attachments

• PA130028.jpg
    PA130028.jpg
    277.4 KB · Views: 312
You already have the siding there. Guess you can squeak another track in and put in an engine house.

You already have the siding there. Guess you can squeak another track in and put in an engine house.

Forgot to mention: I was thinking to add a 2nd line with a RH turnout immediately off the 1 already sitting there coming off the mainline. The switch motor may not fit but I don't mind leaving it to manual throw since the control panel and CAB are right there anyhow.
E.

Eric,

Looks like you have the room for a 2nd line on that spur. You could even "curve it" around the left side of your yard tracks to give you a little more "length".

Why not mock up the same dimension structure and see how it looks.

SMART!!! even easier would just cut out the footprint and place it on the track.

I would go for the building, E-- I have found that buildings never go to waste.

SMART!!! even easier would just cut out the footprint and place it on the track.

I would go for the building, E-- I have found that buildings never go to waste.

Gees guys... I have to apologize for my daftness in not thinking about doing something so simple. I guess my most recent all-nighter put the whammy on the brain. Lack of decent sleep sure doesn't help either.
Here is a footprint cutout and a guess for the new track placement. I don't know the door openings so I am just guessing.
And since I have that cutout laying there, it begs a question. Should that/those bumper(s) be on the inside or outside the building - or omit them completely.
I'm kind of leaning towards keeping bumpers in place and on the inside. (Of course I'll have to buy another bumper - Lord help me to have an extra on hand.)
Besides the DDA40X (which I can not run on these curves), the 2 engines in the upper left corner are my longest in the fleet at roughly 9.5" each - ES44AC and FP45 left to right.

And since I'm all in on scenery these days should I put a "concrete floor" in for the building? Seems to make sense being that it is a maintenance/storage facility.
Thanks for advice!
E.

~

Attachments

• PA140028.jpg
    PA140028.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 173
Given the proximity of the corner of the engine house to the curve and the overhang of the passenger cars and other long cars, engines, etc., You don't have room on the track where you show the bumper outside the engine house. You could place the bumper on the new track outside the engine house, with a second set of door for that track only. You show a fairly massive bumper. The only problem with these ready-made ones is they take up a couple of inches of track. If both are inside the building, you wouldn't see them anyway, so you could do without, OR...make your own. A vertical length of I-beam or wideflange (W or H beam), with a strike plate at coupler height would suffice in actual engine houses.

Given the proximity of the corner of the engine house to the curve and the overhang of the passenger cars and other long cars, engines, etc., You don't have room on the track where you show the bumper outside the engine house. You could place the bumper on the new track outside the engine house, with a second set of door for that track only. You show a fairly massive bumper. The only problem with these ready-made ones is they take up a couple of inches of track. If both are inside the building, you wouldn't see them anyway, so you could do without, OR...make your own. A vertical length of I-beam or wideflange (W or H beam), with a strike plate at coupler height would suffice in actual engine houses.

Yes, it's one of those molded bumpers. I'll probably just cover it with the building. There are feeders soldered to the rail ends on that one so I will likely live it there.

How about you move it back a bit and upward so you can take advantage of that open area? Actually a nice tall engine house would be nice up there. I have a nice one I need to do from campbells, all wood.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about you move it back a bit and upward so you can take advantage of that open area? Actually a nice tall engine house would be nice up there. I have a nice one I need to do from campbells, all wood.

You mean like what Tony suggested? I am considering that.
It is kind of a dead space right there.
I'd need another piece of flex track and roadbed though. I really did use up about every bit of what I had on hand.
I'll ponder on some. The idea just came to me yesterday. No big hurry.
E.

Yes what Tony said curve it, you just have to make sure it straightens at least a engine length and a bit before going into the engine house. A crickety wooden fence along the area would be a nice scene breaker as well.

Yes what Tony said curve it, you just have to make sure it straightens at least a engine length and a bit before going into the engine house. A crickety wooden fence along the area would be a nice scene breaker as well.

Do you mean something like this? I think I'd be mighty lucky to fit a full-engine length straight piece before entering the "house" however.
PA140028_1.jpg~

Attachments

• PA140029.jpg
    PA140029.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 162
I would go with which ever will give the smoothest transision. At the same time imagine what would be in the area of the engine house and allow room for it. Don't rush it Eric.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course I'll be using flex-track. I just don't have any right now so I laid down sections just for an idea.
Cut me a little slack. ;)

Back