History of All Kinds

Baltimore's History: The Outdoor Stalls of Eutaw St. in the 1920s​

1693688209626.png

The couple that raised me, John, and Irene Timmerman, were born in 1898 and 1899. They bought me a wool US Navy Peacoat every winter. I wore a Peacoat until I was a teenager.
Similar to this one.
View attachment 173684
I purchased myself a Navy P coat while in high school, super practical and somewhat stylish in the 70's. I also had an Army Field Jacket (WW II) which I wore as more casual apparel. Purchased them at a favorite army-navy store.

Dave LASM

I purchased myself a Navy P coat while in high school, super practical and somewhat stylish in the 70's. I also had an Army Field Jacket (WW II) which I wore as more casual apparel. Purchased them at a favorite army-navy store.

Dave LASM
I bought a few Army Field Jackets from this store in Essex, MD The same place they bought my peacoats.
1694024396807.png

Last edited:
I like these last two street scenes, any chance of getting a pic of either of them as seen today?
I looked for the Fayette Street scene, but I can't find the same view. I will look for the 32nd street scene first chance I get.

Edit; I was unable to find the same view of either.
If I am down that way, I will take a photo with my phone.

Last edited:
19th September

1796 George Washington's Farewell Address published

In his Farewell Address, printed in a Philadelphia newspaper on this day in 1796, George Washington, the first U.S. president, implored his country to maintain neutrality and avoid entangling alliances with Europe.

1863 The Battle of Chickamauga Creek

An important engagement of the American Civil War that was fought over control of the railroad centre at nearby Chattanooga, Tennessee, began.

2011 Panamanian baseball pitcher Mariano Rivera registered his record-setting 602nd career save.

When he retired in 2013, Rivera had an unprecedented 652 saves and was considered the sport's greatest relief pitcher.

20th September

1854 British and French forces defeated the Russians at the Battle of the Alma.

A victory that left the Russian naval base of Sevastopol vulnerable and endangered the entire Russian position in the Crimean War.

1870 Rome incorporated into Italy

On this day in 1870, Italian troops occupied Rome, leading to the eventual incorporation of Rome into the Kingdom of Italy and the limiting of papal governing authority to the Vatican itself and a small district around it.

1886 The South African city of Johannesburg was founded.

19th September

1796 George Washington's Farewell Address published

In his Farewell Address, printed in a Philadelphia newspaper on this day in 1796, George Washington, the first U.S. president, implored his country to maintain neutrality and avoid entangling alliances with Europe.

1863 The Battle of Chickamauga Creek

An important engagement of the American Civil War that was fought over control of the railroad centre at nearby Chattanooga, Tennessee, began.

2011 Panamanian baseball pitcher Mariano Rivera registered his record-setting 602nd career save.

When he retired in 2013, Rivera had an unprecedented 652 saves and was considered the sport's greatest relief pitcher.
We recently watched a documentary about George Washington, also I have read some accounts of him in the 1800's novel "The Spy" by James Fenimore Cooper.

He was very interesting person, and they actually wanted him to be the King of America, a post which he vehemently declined also was very reluctant to be President. He loved the English aristocracy and very much wanted to be respected in those circles. However, he could not speak French very well. Speaking fluent French was considered fashionable at the time (also as noted in Tolstoy's War and Peace).

Early in his military career he was known to cast blame on others for his mistakes and blunders. He learned much during his life, however, generally during times of humiliation. He was part of at least one major blunder.

No one can say he was not a gentleman, however. I hope they do not tear down his statue.

Dave LASM

We recently watched a documentary about George Washington, also I have read some accounts of him in the 1800's novel "The Spy" by James Fenimore Cooper.

He was very interesting person, and they actually wanted him to be the King of America, a post which he vehemently declined also was very reluctant to be President. He loved the English aristocracy and very much wanted to be respected in those circles. However, he could not speak French very well. Speaking fluent French was considered fashionable at the time (also as noted in Tolstoy's War and Peace).

Early in his military career he was known to cast blame on others for his mistakes and blunders. He learned much during his life, however, generally during times of humiliation. He was part of at least one major blunder.

No one can say he was not a gentleman, however. I hope they do not tear down his statue.

Dave LASM
You might find this interesting.

Back