Hi from St. Petersburg, Fl

Tygrr

Hi all! I am (trying to) build my first layout; 3 walls of a 10 x 12 room. As long as my wife doesn't kill me when she finds out how much I have already spent (don't even have any scenery yet, or track down:eek:), I will be probably be here asking a bunch of "noobie" questions fairly often. :rolleyes:

I am doing HO steam era .. 1928 - 1938 period. I have purchased 3 Proto Heritage (2-8-8-2, 2-8-4, 0-6-0) engines and a Mantua 2-6-6-2 Mallet so far; all are DCC ready.
I have bought about 250 feet of track and about 2 dozen cars.

Is there really that much difference in quality between the different Mfg's of DCC controllers?
If so, which do you suggest? :confused:

I have a BUNCH of questions, but I will try to find the appropriate forum to post them in. :)

Hi all! I am (trying to) build my first layout; 3 walls of a 10 x 12 room. As long as my wife doesn't kill me when she finds out how much I have already spent (don't even have any scenery yet, or track down:eek:), I will be probably be here asking a bunch of "noobie" questions fairly often. :rolleyes:

I am doing HO steam era .. 1928 - 1938 period. I have purchased 3 Proto Heritage (2-8-8-2, 2-8-4, 0-6-0) engines and a Mantua 2-6-6-2 Mallet so far; all are DCC ready.
I have bought about 250 feet of track and about 2 dozen cars.

Is there really that much difference in quality between the different Mfg's of DCC controllers?
If so, which do you suggest? :confused:

I have a BUNCH of questions, but I will try to find the appropriate forum to post them in. :)

Welcome to the forum.
You'll find the opinions about DCC controllers are as diverse and spirited as the Ford/Chevy/Dodge discussions on car forums. For just about everything, somebody loves it, somebody hates it, and somebody else thinks the other two are plain nuts for liking either of them.
I personally have a Digitrax Zephyr, which has recently been updated in Digitrax's catalog to the Zephyr Xtra, with more capabilities and capacity added. Since I've had it for a while (about 6 years), I am more familiar with it than other brands, so I would recommend it based on my experience. Is it perfect? No. But then, none of the DCC controllers are, they all have things we wish would be a little better. For a small layout, a starter DCC system would be more than enough for you. Here's a link to a comparison of most brands and types of systems:
http://www.tonystrains.com/productcompare/dcccomparison.htm
Good luck.

There was some good advice given one time that maybe someone should buy the system that most of the train folk around himself have...then its easier to get advice on problems with it.

I kind of avoided that advice as many people around me have Digitrax. I found their system rather difficult to understand to program, etc

I got an NCE system after several years of asking advice from lots of different folks, and seeing it in action. To me it is much more 'user freindly'.

BTW that Brickfactory kit you inquired about on the other subject thread is available as the other fellow found one close to his home country.

Terry, Thanks for the link!
Beiland .. sooo .. how do we do this? did you send me an email at TheTygrrsDen @ hotmail ? or, that is also my ebay id ( thetygrrsden ), I was also interested in the others also if any are left.

Back