Here's my layout so far.

sinebar

I changed it up a little so here are some new pics. I'm waiting for a Faller Coaling Station to come in so I can place in there somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like a good start to me. The only suggestion I'd make is to consider if you want to make that yard double ended or at least put a crossover in the yard to make switching easier.

couple of questions:
1. what size turntable is that and what brand buildins/part #'s?
2. how big is your layout, dimensions of the wood?

couple of questions:
1. what size turntable is that and what brand buildins/part #'s?
2. how big is your layout, dimensions of the wood?

The turntabel is the Walther's 130', Walther's three stall modern roundhouse, Walther's machine shop and a Walther's modern coaling station.

My layout is 9 x 11 feet with a 4 x 4 foot addition for the turntable and roundhouse.

Thats a good start. Gonna have problems getting to the back of the layout when all the scenery is in place. Might also suggest using some roadbed of somekind. Cork, or Woodland Scenics offers a nice one, its what I went with. Held in place w/ hot glue.

Once you get it all scened and stuff I would suggest getting one of those claws you see advertised on TVor people who have had hip replacement surgery . They use them to pick things up with so they do not have to bend over. It is perfect for trying to reach something on a 4x8 layout !

Once you get it all scened and stuff I would suggest getting one of those claws you see advertised on TVor people who have had hip replacement surgery . They use them to pick things up with so they do not have to bend over. It is perfect for trying to reach something on a 4x8 layout !

Yep that's going to be a problem when I start placing scenery. Right now I can just walk on the layout but soon I'll have to step over stuff.

Just an observation here, but in the 3rd picture, (your yard) that first track looks a bit too close to the inside curve. If you have a longer engine (like that Big Boy) or long car, it might catch whatever you have sitting on that first yard track. Your layout looks great!!! Keep posting pictures as you progress!!!

Just an observation here, but in the 3rd picture, (your yard) that first track looks a bit too close to the inside curve. If you have a longer engine (like that Big Boy) or long car, it might catch whatever you have sitting on that first yard track. Your layout looks great!!! Keep posting pictures as you progress!!!

I'll take a look at it. I changed it a little since I posted the pics. I moved the turn table closer to the edge and moved the round house to make room for the machine shop next to it. I also lowered the turntable and roundhouse flush with the ground. I'll post some more pix.

A couple of ideas for far-corner access.

I recently completed my backdrop and found I had to cut some access holes. One will be "plugged" with a business and the other with stonework for a rock cut.

On an earlier iteration of the road, I had a hatch in the scenery area that popped up.

Another option might be to make one area very strong and put some scenery items on it that could be easily removed, then you'd just stand on it in that one place.

I am considering making a scaffolding that's based on one of those alternative chairs, the ones you kneel on. It would hang over the layout. My benchwork isn't very strong, so I need to keep my weight off it.

Wiring the turntable

I just purchased the turntable on your layout and am currently try to figure out how to wire the tracks inside the engine house. Can you help? Thanks

I just purchased the turntable on your layout and am currently try to figure out how to wire the tracks inside the engine house. Can you help? Thanks

I wired the first track to the main and then the other 2 tracks in the round house in series off the first track. You wire the tracks together just like you were actually joining them.

Back