Help with Propel Cans Please

Truckload

I have always been afraid to try airbrushing. But at 60 years old I figured it was time to man up and try it. I bought a badger model 200 with propel can. That is a single action brush with bottom feed using compressed air from a can, called Propel.

First two projects went fairly well. I used Modelflex paint and was surprised at how easy it was to get a good even coat of paint and a nice finish. During third project the little can of Propel ran out. Bought two big cans of Propel. They seem heavy, but no air comes through to the brush. Even with no brush attached to the hose, I can't get air out. I have completely disassembled the brush and cleaned. I can blow air from my mouth through each part of the brush.

Could the regulator that screws on the can have gone bad that quick? Could the plastic air hose have gone bad already? Should I spend the money to buy a small compressor? Perhaps an airbrush is just too much hassle?

Hi Truckload,

I am not an expert in painting, I was pretty good with a roller and brush, but that does not help us in this instance.

If it were me I would call the vendor you got the new cans from. If they can't help you, send the cans back to them for a refund.

if you are going t be using your air brush a compressor would be a good idea.

I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to run out of air in the middle of a project.

I recommend Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/ if you sign up for emails they will send you coupons and sale notifications.

I can't recommend a specific compressor, but I would start a new thread asking what kind you should get. Many guys on here are experts in painting.

Also check your owners manual for the air brush to get the specifications, CFM etc. and be sure the compressor you order meets the minimum.

Sorry I could not be of help with the cans, good luck to you

Louis

I started out using the ProPel cans myself, that got old really fast! There was no Harbor Freight Tools back then so I bought a small Pasche compressor from my LHS. A few years later, I was able to get a compressor with an 8-gallon tank at Harbor Freight for ~$50.00. It has served me well for the past 10 years.

[EDIT:] I see Louis beat me to it! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I never had much luck with the cans either. After using the 2 that came with the airbrush I just went out and bought a compressor. That was in 1977 and I've never had a pressure or delivery problem since. If you have other uses for a compressor then move up a few steps from the hobby compressors. As long as it has a moisture separator and a decent regulator you'll be able to use for anything from an airbrush to inflating truck tires.

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I really did enjoy using the airbrush, so I guess I need to buy a small airbrush compressor. I will start a new thread and ask for suggestions of compressor to buy.

That is an excellent point about the water separator and a good regulator!

If your compressor does not come with these you can buy them separately and add them yourself.

Speaking of moisture, drain your tank on your compressor and leave the drain valve open after you are done using it. That will help to keep moisture from building up in it.

Louis

I never had much luck with the cans either. After using the 2 that came with the airbrush I just went out and bought a compressor. That was in 1977 and I've never had a pressure or delivery problem since. If you have other uses for a compressor then move up a few steps from the hobby compressors. As long as it has a moisture separator and a decent regulator you'll be able to use for anything from an airbrush to inflating truck tires.

Thanks for the Harbor Freight idea guys!

I purchased a Testors Blue Mini Airbrush Compressor last year. It was an impulse buy because it was on the clearance shelf for $60.00 at a semi-local (there's NOTHING local here....) hobby shop. I still haven't used it because I need to build a spray booth and get an airbrush. I did buy a Propel kit before that and am wondering if I can use it with the compressor in the mean time.

Does anyone have any experience with the Testors Blue compressor? Did I make a good buy or waste the $$?

Truckload:

Two silly quest1ions, but I been there and did it.

1. Did you try to open the regulator valve on the Propel can without the air brush attached and is the regulator cap properly fitted?

2. Is the air brush clean? Many first time air brush users do not completely clean the air brush or the needle valve is turned to far into the body prevent air to pass through the air brush.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Now this was many many man was it really that long ago? But after you screw on the top to the propel can, dont you need to tighten a screw on the top to get the air to flow?

Here is the little compressor I have for airbrushing. It is not super noisy, nor is it super quiet. These compressor goes on sale for $49.99 all the time. Watch the sales or sign up so they email you the upcoming sales.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp-3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-air-compressor-97080.html

Here is a 25% off coupon

http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-coupon912-aff-17547.html

Here is a air dryer for you airbrush. Mine seem to work well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-desiccant-dryerfilter-68215.html

Buzz.

Back