Help with NCE Switch-8 addressing

ggerrells

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum so go easy on me.

I cannot change the addresses on my NCE Switch-8. Installing the jumper per the instructions makes no difference. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? (I am using the NCE Power Cab)

Thx

G

G- I just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

I cannot help you as I can barely spell Dcc.:confused:

Someone should be able to give you some constructive advice soon. Several people here are experienced NCE users.

Mikey

G,

I haven't used the Switch-8's yet, but reading the directions, it should be nothing more than turning the rotary switch to any of the eight positions, depending upon which one you want to program and then, putting the jumper on and then with you power cab select the accesory address you want to make the unit, and then either normal or reverse that switch. Don't use the programming track to do this.

Bob A.

Thanks Bob. This is the second Switch-8 I have tried. The first one would "forget" its programming but I could still change the addresses using the process you described. I've emailed NCE asking for help but haven't heard back from them.

G

Okay, so I hooked up Switch-8 number 1 to see if I could change its addresses and I could but it still would "forget" its programming whenever I unplugged my Power Cab. So, Switch-8 number 1 is bad because it forgets and Switch-8 number 2 is bad because I cannot change the addresses. I'm off to the LHS tomorrow to return these two and try Switch-8 number 3...

G

you might want to talk to NCE directly. If the first two Switch-8's came for the same LHS, odds are that the others may be bad as well. Not unheard of to get a bad batch.

Bob

Bob,

That's exactly what the guy at the LHS said. They were great in refunding me for both bad Switch-8's and are checking their remaining stock. Hopefully, they have a good one they can sell me. Incidently, I did talk directly with NCE (email). The only suggestion they had was not to use Address 1 but because I couldn't change any addresses that really wasn't much help.

G

The LHS went through thier stock and found a good one. My son and I have been using it our our layout for several days now and it has worked fine every time. In testing their stock, the LHS found several bad Switch-8's along with comfirming the faults on our first two. Anyway, we are happy with the Switch-8 and plan to incorporate more of them when we expand our layout.

G

G

I am glad they got one to work. I personally use the switch-it's. I have a need for the ability to use the button capability.

Bob

Bob,

I read through the manual for the Switch-it; it is very similar to the Switch-8 and I see how the panel switches work. I will definitly keep it in mind when we expand our layout if we have a need for button capability.

Question: Do you use two switches, or one to "toggle" the turnout?

G

where I am using tortises, I can use on side of the switch-it to power two machines, such as for a crossover. otherwise, with switch master machines, I need to use one for each side. Then I create a Macro to throw both turnouts.

Bob,

That makes sense. I think I confused electrical switches and turnouts in my question. In the instructions for the Switch-it, NCE says you can control the turnout throw using one or two electrical, momentary switches. When only one electrical switch is used, I assume it throws the turnout the opposite direction each time the switch is pressed, thus "toggling" the turnout. Using a two-LED setup on the panel near the electrical switch would to indicate the direction the turnout is thrown. Seems like a real clean, simple installation to me.

G

Back