Help with my First N Scale Layout.

At our Lowes the 4'x8' foam is currently light green colored and real light weight. Comes in one inch and two inch thickness.....and maybe others. Pretty sure it's extruded....whatever that means. :p

Mike

At our Lowes the 4'x8' foam is currently light green colored and real light weight. Comes in one inch and two inch thickness.....and maybe others. Pretty sure it's extruded....whatever that means. :p

Mike

TY I will head up there and look, the extruded is supposed to be easier to work with and wont flake when carved... "I think" hehehe...

Ahhh time to get to work, i will post up some more pics with some benchwork laid once I get some done, I need to shim and mount the base cabinets to the wall now..

ok Just got back from Lowes, all they had was some white type foam board, polystyrene? is this the correct stuff?

no blue no pink just white lol..

Honestly, if you have a shop vac on hand, And dont mind using it, just carve and have the vacuum going at the same time, it doesnt make that much of a mess.

Ive used the white on my layout because it was free and on hand and i didnt have a problem except the mess, but thats what a vacuum is for...

The white stuff is the kind everyone hates. The blue and pink does carve nicer but honestly the foam usually gets covered up anyway. I like to use quick set dry wall compound to cover up the foam. I do know the blue and pink foam is more money then the white foam.

Also for mountains/hills, you can pick up a roll of aluminum window screen at walmart for under 10 bucks. A bag of drywall compound for about 6-7 bucks at homedepot and you can make some awesome hills this way for cheap...

All you gotta do is cut the screen to bulge it up to make a hill/mountain. It usuall takes 2 coats of quick set drywall mud to get into the screen and cover it up.
photobucket-20315-1338690379095.jpg

photobucket-21808-1338690671170.jpg

photobucket-565-1338690639447.jpg

photobucket-26263-1338335868649.jpg

photobucket-829-1345328400691.jpg

I hope your not mad that i posted pictures on your thread, its just for ideas

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I get what you mean by extruded now....I think I knew that once......then forgot...:p.....guess my brain has a loose connector somewhere...:rolleyes: lol. The old styrofoam bead-board is the real crappy stuff. Not sure about the white styrene. Some foam genius will chime in here soon I hope. :) If they would just stick to one color on the correct foam board......we could save alot of energy trying to guess our way though this dilemma. :D

Mike

Honestly, if you have a shop vac on hand, And dont mind using it, just carve and have the vacuum going at the same time, it doesnt make that much of a mess.

Ive used the white on my layout because it was free and on hand and i didnt have a problem except the mess, but thats what a vacuum is for...

The white stuff is the kind everyone hates. The blue and pink does carve nicer but honestly the foam usually gets covered up anyway. I like to use quick set dry wall compound to cover up the foam. I do know the blue and pink foam is more money then the white foam.

Also for mountains/hills, you can pick up a roll of aluminum window screen at walmart for under 10 bucks. A bag of drywall compound for about 6-7 bucks at homedepot and you can make some awesome hills this way for cheap...

All you gotta do is cut the screen to bulge it up to make a hill/mountain. It usuall takes 2 coats of quick set drywall mud to get into the screen and cover it up.
photobucket-20315-1338690379095.jpg

photobucket-21808-1338690671170.jpg

photobucket-565-1338690639447.jpg

photobucket-26263-1338335868649.jpg

photobucket-829-1345328400691.jpg

I hope your not mad that i posted pictures on your thread, its just for ideas

I dont get mad, :) Thank You for posting them :) Inspiriation at its best!! TY!

Well im STILL working on benchwork and making SLOW progress, but the hardest part is almost over and I can move on to the rest, I REALLY want to get this damn benchwork done by tomorrow.. I will be working late into the night again....

Yeah I get what you mean by extruded now....I think I knew that once......then forgot...:p.....guess my brain has a loose connector somewhere...:rolleyes: lol. The old styrofoam bead-board is the real crappy stuff. Not sure about the white styrene. Some foam genius will chime in here soon I hope. :) If they would just stick to one color on the correct foam board......we could save alot of energy trying to guess our way though this dilemma. :D

Mike

I had no idea either, remember when we used to use that wooden type wall board, blah, I would much rather use foam, super easy to carve out rivers and streams and what not... Cant wait to FINISH the bench work, almost there, one more big section to go and im POOPED! I think it will have to wait till tomorrow..

ok some updated pics....

Made 2 workstations, where I will install Keyboard Type Drawers for controls and whatever, man this is the most bombproof framing I have made yet, I can jump on it, yank as hard as I can on it, and I cannot get it to shake, I even had friends try it as well :), now all I have left is really easy as far as benchwork goes, I wont have to worry about incorporating cabinets into it at all, thats what took me so long today.. So Tomorrow all I need to do is slap the last part together and then its time for plywood and foam... I think I will pait the upper part of the room just to make it easier before I do trackwork, that should not take too long.. Thinking Sky Blue for the entire room...

Here are my Helpers who worked hard with me all day today..

I better finish tomorrow im beat lol...

Update so far, I have like 95% of all the benchwork completed, since I don't have a track plan, and really lack the skill to pre-plan one, I decided to just install the plywood over the top for now, benchwork is bulletproof, and all I have left is trying to figure out the final plan for the hinge lift...

Im a complete noob and rookie, even at 44, so this is taking some time to figure out, I have been looking at the internet, and found a few different things... In the picture, you can see kinda how I think it might work, I just have a piece of wood laying across the top for now, I almost wish I had a direct angle, but i wanted the door to be able to open and close without having to lift it everytime, and as it sits the door can open and close and still has like 2-3 inches from hitting the bridge...

Im getting there, if anyone has any suggestions on a good trackplan for this size room I will take ANY and all advice...

I want a doubletrack main, decent elevation, some mountains, possibly a logging operation, maybe 3-4 towns, maybe a staging and switching area?

I think a recent head injury I suffered has really messed me up, im currently on the mend, but just dont seem to be able to sit down and plan a layout, I get 10 mins into it and I have to lay down cuz my head starts spinning.. Head injuries are a weird thing, im heading to a neurlogist here in a few days, im just waiting for the appt...

But first and foremost Maybe I will order enough track to go around the room first and go from there... Next step is foam installation tomorrow, I just need my friend to come over and do all the work for me like he did on my benchwork..

Here is the brige lift hinge area im trying to figure out

If nothing else I must commend you on the speed at which you've gone from nothing to basically completed tablework. Looks good too!

Your computer is in a perfect location for hooking it up to your future layout.

Good job so far.

On the lift bridge go on youtube.com and check out al mayo. Type in his name with lift bridge. He made a awesome lift bridge. If i was at home instead of work i would paste the link for you.

Al mayo does really good work, he explains and has lots of how-to videos. I suggest looking over his videos.

TY!! Just watched the video and will be heading to get some hinges here in a few, DAMN I have a splinter in the joint of my index finger and it hurts like CRAZY....

That guy makes some GREAT videos really helped me a bunch...

I like that one as well, :) I am also on a budget hehe, I wish I had lotto money to throw at my layout :)

I have the basic design in place, it seems to function well, no track or anything, but it lifts up and out of the way. now I just need to find an old garage door shock to mount on it so it wont slam down.. But its IN! took me almost ALL DAY, VS how al did it in like 2 hours lol, my hinge was tough because its also on a curve, but I wanted the transition to be straight, so I spent hours messing with it, till I was sure I could fit at least a doubletrack mainline over that gap heheh...

I have been working hard, pictures to follow today after I get more done.. I hope to have foam down today.

Update so far, been working my friends tail off :) My good friend Antionio came by and we ordered some good pizza.. Because im laid out pretty much, Antionio grabbed tools and set to work, helping me greatly..

Im now at the point my RR needs to raise money for more track and turnouts :) But im in the track planning stages and moving forward..

I have now decided on the place and sorta time of the layout, it can be really the old west in the mountains, or be caught up in the modern times of a large doubletrack mainline with long haul trains.

The basis for the layout will be a place I discovered on vacation years ago, it's located just east of Yosmite. The name is the SJ&E it started in 1912 and went out in 1933 I believe, it's entire route was completed in 127 days! It was also known as one of the nuttiest RR's on the planet, extremely scary... I knew their had to be a RR that used to run up there, I discovered an old roadbed while hiking with Antionio and another friend, I even found an old rail spike and kept it as a keepsake...

The SJ&E I will model will Start in El Prado, this was the Interchange with the Southern Pacific at the time, and wind its way up the rugged sierra mountains to support the Big Creek Project as well as a thriving lumber industry, down below on the mainlines will be big trains picking up and taking supplies between El Prado and Bakersfield, that will be the lower level, while the upper level will be the rum up to where dam #2 was located near Huntington Lake.... I cant wait, here are some pics of some of the progress!

Here is an Early Test version of the Hinge Lift, im sure it will always be a WIP, but I like how it works for now..

work work work work work

Getting some paint on those 10+ year old walls

The Hinge Lift looking into the now named SJ&E RR

The Blue Paint being applied, now all I need are Clouds and Stars

When Smurfs Attack! I really love it tho, Foam Going down, THANK YOU SHOP VAC!, stuff was a mess!

It was SNOWING lol...

Foam Almost done

Hinge Lift Rocking!

Getting Started

I need more Turnouts hehe..

Bah im beat...

Am liking your drawbridge/gate. You guys really transformed that room quickly. Going to look up the SJ&E. Wish I could go there and hike that route like you did. I went to glacier point in yosemite and the mariposa grove in 1991. Then drove over tioaga pass. Awesome country!

Mike

Thank You for the kind words, it was a undertaking for sure hehehe...

I discovered this place by complete mistake, was time for a summer vacation, and I dont like doing the normal "tourist" thing, so I decided to go right next to Yosmite and play around. Over the last 10 years I have been exploring the area, that day I found the road bed was funny, as we were looking for firewood.. I could tell a train went through the area, no way it was a road, I started kicking stuff around and then I found a spike! I was like I KNEW IT!!

Well after extinsive searches, I have found only a few photos of a couple of shays they used to own, but at least I know where the track used to go.. I am hoping to be able to mix almost any era, and not only that, my layout should keep me wanting to go on vacation and get back up into the Sierra's.. I do it every year for at least 2-3 weeks.. That John Muir Wilderness had to have been crafted by God himself, its my favorite place on earth.

Well time to get to work, I really SUCK at track planning...

But here is what I will be modeling, these are not RR related pics, but from my vacation area..

The Super Highway

next to one of my campsites.

Antionio Catching Dinner

Another from Base Camp

ok some updates, it seems I TOTALLY underestimated the track needed to cover my area in question.. It seems I am in need of more turnouts and more 381's 348's and 315's argh .. But its coming along, the back part will be elevated even higher that the risers in the front, thats where the switchback is going to go and the run up to the dam, at least I have it all in my head the way I want it, as well as on paper and in sharpie on the foam layer lol... I really wanted to finish the main line yesterday so I could start testing, now I need to raise funds and have another HO Scale fire sale on ebay to fund the rest of the stuff needed... Ahh im beat, if anyone has any Kato track laying around that they dont need, feel free to throw it this way, I will gladly pay shipping :)

Well Hopefully I can find some turns locally today, if not I will have to ordered online and wait a few days.

Back