Help identify this

Richard V

This works the local area and yard. Here it's moving gondolas at the Neenah Foundry in Neenah, WI. What model is it and is it available in N or HO or something close. I'm concidering modeling the area as a switching layout and will need one.

9f564954-8276-4d8d-bd77-972f2e4d3d9c_zps281a72ba.jpg

Looks like an ex-UP SW10.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
The number on the cab would indicate that it is (or was) in the 1200's. CN's numbering has it as a SW1200, Class GR12d http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=34732 http://cnlines.ca/CNcyclopedia/loco/sw1200/#CN1204 . In the pic you have it appears to have been further modified with a higher radiator cowl with 2 fans mounted on top of that and the exhaust stacks replaced with the more usual type. Also it still seems to be wearing the IC initials on the lower cab. Interestingly it also seems to be sporting an MP15 style front, a rebuild of a rebuilt rebuild possibly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The number on the cab is 1202 and it looks very new. It dances around the yard like a ballerina unlike the one before it that looked and sounded like a sickly bull in a china shop. The SOO could be seen under the CN paint on that one.

It's sounding like I would have to do some modeling to get this one.

What's interesting to me, unless my visual reading of the CN one is mistaken, the cab seems to have a flat section in the center of the roof, while the UP one Terry posted does not. Also, the pattern of windows in the front of the cab looks different. I would think the UP version could be bashed from an SW-7 or SW-1200, at least getting a reasonable facsimile; the CN one looks like it might require a bit more work to get the details right.

What's interesting to me, unless my visual reading of the CN one is mistaken, the cab seems to have a flat section in the center of the roof, while the UP one Terry posted does not. Also, the pattern of windows in the front of the cab looks different. I would think the UP version could be bashed from an SW-7 or SW-1200, at least getting a reasonable facsimile; the CN one looks like it might require a bit more work to get the details right.

I got this from a member of another board. It is the right number;

SW14.jpg

You are correct about the roof and windows.

I think you did a very sneaky delete and replace there Terry. :rolleyes::cool:

I did do an un-autocorrect and added a photo.
I remember the IC having SW14 rebuilds with the Spartan cab, though I don't remember them having the raised radiator section.

Thank you for the links. It looks like they need to do some updating on this "little beast". It's now running around Neenah, Wisconsin and sounds like she's running just fine. There's also a couple very old looking SW9s working in Green Bay.

It looks like you like me. Up before the sun. I was up at 4 but had to catch up on my interests.

David, I can see a lot of detail from 50 feet away. The one here looks like it's no more than a couple months old. Nice and shiny new. When I first spotted it a couple months ago even the trucks where clean. Your picture looks a lot older.

Back