Hello from Northern Nevada!

I moved here from western Colorado about a year ago due to a job transfer. I was in a railroad club there for 14 years. I have been in the hobby for 35 years.I currently model Colorado railroads-both standard gauge and narrow gauge. I enjoy scratch building,kitbashing, and repowering old locomotives(mostly steam).

Welcome! I think we need to see some pictures of your projects!!

Sorry you had to leave Colorado - the western slope is quite beautiful. What part of Northern Nevada? My in-laws are up near Elko (Spring Creek).

I'm in Winnemucca now. Will photograph my projects when I move them here, as well as my completed ones! I used to work in the heart of RGS territory,Telluride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I moved here from western Colorado about a year ago due to a job transfer. I was in a railroad club there for 14 years. I have been in the hobby for 35 years.I currently model Colorado railroads-both standard gauge and narrow gauge. I enjoy scratch building,kitbashing, and repowering old locomotives(mostly steam).

Hi Ghost Train - Welcome to the forum,
We are somewhat the same as what we are involved in from a modeling standpoint as I am interested in D&RGW, RGS an C&S. My layout is an imaginary line somewhere in Colorado with a bit of Calif thrown in.

I've been in model railroading for the last 58 years but never did belong to a club, just had a few friends who were also interested. I've always built most of my own loco's from kits as that's what I enjoy along with the a number of car kits and even scratched built a few cars too.

I also hand lay all my track on wood ties and build my own switches too at least for the readly seen track but may go to using Grandt line preformed flexable tie strips on the back and upper sections which will be harder to reach.

You may also be hand laying your track too?
I'll bet we both have a lot of common experience on a number of subjects.

Anyway, glad to have you on the forum!

Winnemucca,you really are northern!

Hello and welcome to the forum also Dave. I South from you a fair way and over Sierra Nevada Mtns and just South of the Southern Entrance to Yosemite Nat. Prk. in Calif. Not too far but sure not next door either and I have been to VC in the past and may take a drive up that way again one of these days.

Thanks,Trussrod.Wow!that sounds like a wild town,you live in.Here they race outhouses,not tarantulas.
I went on a Harley ride from L.A. to Yosemite..25 yrs.or so ago,I don't remember Coursegold but I've always remembered Oakhurst,Ca.ended up going to thier July 4th fireworks celebration.

Yes, I also scratch build and hand lay my switches-only because no one makes the kind of dual gauge switches I needed.(dual gauge in, standard gauge one way and narrow gauge the other) Once I had the knack for that,they did become easier.
Thanks for the welcome!

Thanks,Trussrod.Wow!that sounds like a wild town,you live in.Here they race outhouses,not tarantulas.
I went on a Harley ride from L.A. to Yosemite..25 yrs.or so ago,I don't remember Coursegold but I've always remembered Oakhurst,Ca.ended up going to thier July 4th fireworks celebration.

Hi Dave,
Going from L.A. to Yosemite, if you took 41 North from Fresno you would have
gone directly through Coarsegold as it was the first little town you would have come to. Not too much there at that time as I recall. I've been here for 45 years now and seen a lot of changes alright.

Coarsegold is an old Gold Mining community and I guess it had it's wild times but so did Virginia City too.

Yes, I also scratch build and hand lay my switches-only because no one makes the kind of dual gauge switches I needed.(dual gauge in, standard gauge one way and narrow gauge the other) Once I had the knack for that,they did become easier.
Thanks for the welcome!

Hi Ghost Train,
Your description somewhat looses me as your either going to be operating on either the Narrow gauge or or the std so I'm unsure just how a regular dual gauge switch wouldn't work unless you want the return line to be opposite the dual gauge of the switch which would give you four rails rather than three as best I can determine. Sounds awful complicated to me.

I still can't understand the reason for it so I hope you will tell me/the forum your thinking?

Also a picture/s would be great.

Hand laying and building switches is time consuming for sure but worth the extra effort in the overall effect.

Hi Ghost Train,
Your description somewhat looses me as your either going to be operating on either the Narrow gauge or or the std so I'm unsure just how a regular dual gauge switch wouldn't work unless you want the return line to be opposite the dual gauge of the switch which would give you four rails rather than three as best I can determine. Sounds awful complicated to me.

I still can't understand the reason for it so I hope you will tell me/the forum your thinking?

Also a picture/s would be great.

Hand laying and building switches is time consuming for sure but worth the extra effort in the overall effect.

I did not want to use the dual gauge switches in areas where I only had narrow gauge trackage. I will try to photograph on my next trip back to CO., and post to this thread.

Back