Hello from Massachusetts!

Saturn5tony

Well hi guys and gals,
Yes as you can see, Im from Mass and in the Springfield area as well. I always loved trains, had an HO Santa Fe style loco ( My memory is a bit vague, but it looked very similar to an EMD F7 or had that style.) with just a few pieces of rolling stock with a classic caboose from my childhood growing up in southern Connecticut. Moved to Springfield a long time ago to go to college. In my early 60's now with a renewed interest in building a layout soon or at least buying an engine, some track, doing a bit of building structures (never had any sets on my old one, short of a pre-built foam mountain) and hoping to just get starting again, step by step soon. I want to get back into it slow.. so I can not only take all this new information in, but also to afford what looks like a very expensive hobby and slowly get started. Why now at this age with trains?

I went to the Amherst Railway Hobbyshow last month. Went for 1 day (yea like that was enuff!! haha) with 4 large buildings packed with Train stuff! I barely finished only one and so wished I could have went the second day. If there is one thing that can start or restart this Hobby, that show was it!! Now, looking to get back into it for some fun.

Being from New England, I always liked Connecticut Southern Railroad, especially being that CSO, CSX, NECR, New Haven and most all these trains went by my house(s) and was a big part of where I lived, especially in Conn. Im just looking at everything now, both real and in the hobby and just cant get enough of them. Both history and an old model builder from my past is all coming together saying... do something with it.

I have a very heavy interest in the HO - FL9 loco, especially the model train from Rapido. Not only because its an awesome DCC train model by Rapido, but very similar (looking wise) to my old locomotive engine, but it has the NH logo (not Santa Fe) and may have been one that was part of the real train route where I lived in Southern CT and was setup for New York electric rails. Wow, what a versatile train/prototype. Well there I go again, this is all so much fun and yea, again.....Hello from Mass and CT!!

Well thats it, why Im here and checking out this website. Hope to talk with you all soon.

-Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony, Welcome to the forums, Model Railroading is indeed and exciting and fascinating hobby for sure as well as being a creative one too! It's good that your getting back into it as well as taking in what you can before getting started to any great extent but your not totally new to the hobby either which is in your favor.

It would be good to know the size of the area you think you want to use for your layout. After having been in MR for some time and built several layouts I've always suggested a 'L' shaped around the walls layout as it seems to offer a more enjoyable viewing and operation over a plain oval or similar. Of course, I should mention I'm in the 1890's to 1910 era which is Steam and only the very early Box Cab Diesels as well as a rural setting so my folded dog bone layout has a number of curves to it. But whatever you feel is to your liking and space is best for you.

I'm somewhat familiar with Mass. but only the areas from Fall River to Boston and inland a bit up to the Taunton & Lowel areas. These were visited during the time I was handling my late Aunts' estate in Marion.

Stop by the coffee shop and meet some of the other guys on here. The ANPL Coffee shop/ Jeffreys' Dinner, named in honor of him as a fallen member who contributed quite a lot to the forum.

See you around,
David

Thank you Louis, I will check out your threads as well. I see one of them is Lionel. Was always an HO guy, but I see so many peeps love those 3 rails! lol! O size too, wow!! Seemed I may invest in N, which do seem small but with price and space, I may, but when it comes down to it, making room in my mind for 1:87th will probably happen! See you soon.

Thank you as well David for your tips about L shape layouts and I will check out the Coffee shop as well.

Oh here is the HO FL9 DCC with Loksound I would love to get someday!

FL9 NH 2018 - small.jpg

Not sure if its 2018 I would pic, a 5048 would be very cool being I am a Superman fan (hehe) but I may have to put that on myself.

Tony - Welcome aboard the friendliest model RR forum on the net. Ask away if you have questions, either with a new thread or over in the Coffee Shop. I model in HO as it's easier on these aging eyes!

Willie

Tony - Welcome aboard the friendliest model RR forum on the net. Ask away if you have questions, either with a new thread or over in the Coffee Shop. I model in HO as it's easier on these aging eyes!

Willie

Thank you Willie, yes I know what you mean, Ive always looked at both N and HO, especially recently and when I went to the show at the big E, I noticed going close to HO was a bit better on my eyes than N-scale, but it amazes me that DCC, sound, lights etc are in N???? Wow. I always loved HO tho, and hoping to start there (again) as I get back into it. What type of trains do you have?

S5T, you might look at the idea of joining a club. Could even be the Amherst one, that runs the Springfield show. That way you don't have to dedicate any space in your house to a railroad, and it becomes a social activity with help available from experienced people. That's if you want such a thing, of course!

Thank you Willie, yes I know what you mean, Ive always looked at both N and HO, especially recently and when I went to the show at the big E, I noticed going close to HO was a bit better on my eyes than N-scale, but it amazes me that DCC, sound, lights etc are in N???? Wow. I always loved HO tho, and hoping to start there (again) as I get back into it. What type of trains do you have?
I am HO, and I model "representational" Santa Fe flatlands, in the 1978-1992 time frame. No mountains, tunnels or grades. It is two levels although they are not currently connected. I have a dedicated 20' x 32' "train shed" that I built out in the yard (Texas, no basements). 80 engines and 800+ freight cars populate the place. About 95% of the benchwork and track/wiring is completed but only about 15% of the scenery is done, although probably 80% of the structures are in place. Both levels are point to point, with provisions for the upper level to be continuous run when completed. Helix is probably five years away. I enjoy switching and there are currently over 70 industries available. I am setting up a computer-generated switch-list program but don't currently use it.

Willie

Hi Tony,

Welcome to the forum. A great bunch of folks here - helpful and knowledgeable.

Enjoy your time here.

Frederick

I am HO, and I model "representational" Santa Fe flatlands, in the 1978-1992 time frame. No mountains, tunnels or grades. It is two levels although they are not currently connected. I have a dedicated 20' x 32' "train shed" that I built out in the yard (Texas, no basements). 80 engines and 800+ freight cars populate the place. About 95% of the benchwork and track/wiring is completed but only about 15% of the scenery is done, although probably 80% of the structures are in place. Both levels are point to point, with provisions for the upper level to be continuous run when completed. Helix is probably five years away. I enjoy switching and there are currently over 70 industries available. I am setting up a computer-generated switch-list program but don't currently use it.

Willie
Oh thank you Willie and John for your replies. 80 engines and 800+ rolling stock.... wow, awesome collection and I bet your yard looks great. So cool. Yes like I said I will be going slow, one to take in real trains, youtube, web stuff, magazines, planning and start thinking of what Im going to build. I may just start with a few buildings, get my old model skills back in action and then get a loco. How did you guys start? So true about joining the Amherst belt lines John. I even have a neighbor that has joined them and has a section that hes been working on for years. If I go too fast I may just get overwhelmed. At the moment I need to read more in this site, and hope to get good input from all you pro's and make more friends and just buy a few pieces. I found we all learn (even from rookies) when we combine knowledge. Thank you all for your replies.

Oh and thank you as well Fred!! Just saw your post when I closed this box, haha!!

Hi Tony, Sorry for missing your reply before. Glad you appreciated the info. That's a neat looking Loco.

Hi Tony, Sorry for missing your reply before. Glad you appreciated the info. That's a neat looking Loco.
No problem David, thank you for your tips with saying hi here as well as the Coffee shop. Found out about the FL9's as I got back into the hobby and the fact that it also runs on NY electric seems cool to me. Its all very cool. So much info I have to gear up on, but that is the fun part of this journey. Oh a quick question looking at your sig, I am familiar with HO all my life but what is special about HOn3? I see from this site that n is narrow gauge and 3 is 3 feet but why is this special in our modelling.

Back