Hello from Armyairforce

armyairforce

Hi guys,

I'm Steve Carr, new to the forum, but an old hand at all kinds of model making. I recognise a few members names from other forums ( one of the reasons for joining here ), and for those who may know me, I am 'B-17_Fortress' on another railroad forum, but trying now to stick with the armyairforce name to keep all my forum names the same!

So; you now know who I am, but what do I do?

I build models as a hobby and for a living, but it all started with plastic modelling around the age of four. I got into railway modelling with my dad about five. At thirteen, I discovered R/C flying, and for almost 30 years, I've been heavily involved in radio controlled model aircraft, ending up display flying very large warbirds as can be seen from my 1/6 scale B-17 shown below.

7.JPG

lac10.jpg

In 2004 I got Asthma and a wood dust allergy which forced a break from the balsa dust for a few years. At that point, I got back into railway modelling, building three N scale layouts over the following three years. All were exhibition layouts, and all were sold soon after completion after people saw them and took a fancy to them. I think they only made it to one exhibition each!

Around the same time I also bought a 1/1 scale Willys Jeep to play with. This was followed last year by a Dodge Weapons Carrier, both being modified to represent Airfield Flying Control vehicles.

croft12.jpg

My main railway scale is N, though I started out in OO, and have built in OO9. I mainly scratch build structures and some rolling stock, but haven't tackled locos yet.

Over the coming months, I hope to be sharing some of my builds with you, and I hope you jump on board for the ride.

Thanks,

Steve

Welcome to the forum and we will be looking forward to your photos. The B-17: a magnificent lady and I would love to see a model like yours. Those engines must be huge for a model so large. Always wondered how you keep the engine power balanced on a multi-engine model.

The B-17 used two pilots to fly it. As the pilot, I had the flying controls and the inner engines which were linked as a pair. Each was 60cc's capacity giving about 11.2HP total. The co-pilot operated the landing gear, flaps and the two 40cc outer engines which were on independant throttles. In a take off or landing, the big fin acts like a weathercock, and so just like the real B-17, the outer engines are operated independantly to help to control any swing. Originally all the engines were 40cc's, but the inners were later replaced with 60's for a greater reserve of power.

Further details about the B-17 can be found here - http://www.sacarr.co.uk/usaaf/b17/b17.htm

There's also some video here with the other USAAF Team planes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtijJ0M_emY

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few photos of the first layout I built after getting back into railroading in 2005 after a 23 year break. The layout is called "Dreamland", and is set in Nevada, 1966. The base board is 6 feet x 2 feet.

This is the track plan. Two lines, a simple oval and a figure eight with a helix, split over two heights.

dreamland1.jpg

The layout had a military theme, with the old mine buildings taken over by the Army for an undisclosed purpose. A small yard was enclosed in the left side of the figure eight.

dreamland2.jpg

dreamland3.jpg

The buildings were all scratch built, except for the mine which was a modified kit.

dreamland4.jpg

An F-111 aircraft has crash landed on the hills and a rescue crew are at the scene.

dreamland5.jpg

The fuel store was a resin casting from a rubber mould made from an old tank car.

dreamland7.jpg

The GMC CCKW353 trucks on the flat cars are also scratch built. They are also resin castings.

dreamland8.jpg

dreamland9.jpg

The layout appeared at one exhibition, but its size limited operations, so it was sold on Ebay, and a slightly larger layout planned to replace it.

dreamland10.jpg

Thanks Stephen for the two links. All I can say is, "Incredible". I am glad that I never started R/C or I would be flat broke instead of almost broke :D.
Looking at your R/C work and your layout, you are obviously a skilled modeler and will be an asset to the forum. Welcome once again! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Stephen,

After years of modeling HO and On30, and doing Old West gunfighter shows, some of my old west buddies have been bitten by the "WWII Vehicle bug". I have helped build a few Ford GPW jeeps and a Willy's MB. I usually end up painting and lettering them since I have a vinyl cutter, I make the lettering and insignia stencils and paint those using the stencils. Here's a few examples.

Here are a few more examples:

I am currently shopping for my own Jeep now. I didn't initially want ANOTHER hobby, but these little Jeeps are too much fun to build, drive and display. :cool:

Check out http://go-deviljeepclub.org for more details. (yeah, I got roped into building a website for these guys too)

It's funny how you dip your toe into a hobby, and before you know it, you're up to your neck!!

EXACTLY! I have found though where in WWII, several Rail Operating and Maintenance battalions were sponsored by US Railroads, and being where I come from and what I do for a living, I am planning on 723rd Railway Operating Battalion "Baker" Company for mine, as it was the Union Pacific sponsored ROB and "B" Co. was the railroad trainers for all the other ROB's in Europe. Fits me like a glove. :D

Now to find a set of large speeder car wheels for it....

Back