Hello from Anthracite country

KriegslokBR52

Hi all. I'm new on this forum, but not new to railroading, or modeling. I was born and raised in Poland and i'm a "child of steam", as that beautiful time was still going strong during my childhood at the time. I was fortunate to ride behind steam on regular passenger trains, as well as witnessing freight and even switching operations by former german war locomotives designed for the eastern front during WWII (my nickname after my favorite steam locomotive). I came to the USA first time in 1986 on vacation and almost immediatelly took interest in american electric locomotives. Seeing an AEM7 with Amfleet "cans" under New Havens triangular catenary at full flight pretty much did it:) Many trips and reading about american railroads also cemented my interest in american steam locomotives, especially those more obscure and less known types. Currently i model in H0 gauge, which includes both layout building and scratch building equipment. Anyway greetings from antracite country (eastern Pennsylvania) and i'll be starting modeling thread soon.

I have often said that drilling tiny holes is a sub hobby of model railroading.

I kitbashed a Roundhouse 2-8-0 into a P&R camelback :
PR730.jpg

Definately done that a time or two, as well as blowing up the soldering station.

Until this past year or so, I was awful at soldering. Youtube taught me how to do it right. The issue I have with soldering, is that I'm used to using a finger to keep my hand steady.... Much like using your pinky to touch the object you're applying a pinstripe to.

I almost always accidentally do that with the hot tip of a soldering iron. I'll bet I've burned my finger 5 or 6 times... apparently, I'm a slow learner, lol!

Until this past year or so, I was awful at soldering. Youtube taught me how to do it right. The issue I have with soldering, is that I'm used to using a finger to keep my hand steady.... Much like using your pinky to touch the object you're applying a pinstripe to.

I almost always accidentally do that with the hot tip of a soldering iron. I'll bet I've burned my finger 5 or 6 times... apparently, I'm a slow learner, lol!
Soldering is a delicate art of balance and manufacturers didn't come up yet with a tool tight enough to hold things in place while flexible enough to wrap around the work to maneuver pieces without disturbing all the parts-this leaves the fingers as the only suitable tools:D For my work i try to build jigs-time consuming, or/and use clips-inflexible. BTW love that avatar👍

Back