Hello everyone!!!!

FM C liner

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am a new model railroader and looking forward to learning from all of you who have been in this a while. I am building a small layout in my garage that is HO scale. Thanks for this forum.

Scott
Lathrop Ca.:cool:

Welcome to the Forums, Scott. This is the friendliest site on the web for model railroading with talented people willing to help with any problems you may encounter. Feel free to ask for help, if needed and the main thing to remember is.........we love pictures!

LOL Bob, we are like vultures for pics aren't we? I too love a few photos to go with a thread. It helps to visualize the intent of the thread and bring us into the world of the modeler. So welcome aboard Scott. Glad to have ya. Please post pics!!! ;)

Thanks everyone!!! I wil try to get some pics up tonight. All I have right now is the track lay out on the benchwork, no foam board or road bed yet. I should have that done soon.

Thanks again

G'day Scott....I'm in OZ..(Australia)...You've picked a great forum to be a part of...I joined one year ago , had a blast , made some great new friends via our amazingly diverse hobby , LEARNED A LOT ALREADY...and I hope have passed on a couple of thoughts and tips too...I love doing American Rail...notice you live in California...My new layout is HO , pretty much exclusively ATSF/BNSF...and will be mostly double stack / reefer tank cars and one day a few Autoracks..Ever been to Cajon Pass CA.?..If I ever get to the States , a bit of railfanning or train spotting as we call it would be Cajon , Summit , Sullivans Curve etc....among many other famous spots in the US..One day in the next couple of years I hope if things come together....Welcome again....to another fellow forum member.....Cheers Rod...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Rod,
You are right, this place is a great resource for help and support in our hobby. I use to live in southern Ca. I drove the Cajon pass everday for several years when I lived in the high desert. My layout is very basic due to space and lack of funds, I hope to make up for that with good scenery ideas. Right now I am working on little things while I figure the rest out. You can see pics in my photo album if you like. Hope to hear from you again.

Thanks
Scott

G'day Scott....I met a couple from California a few years ago in our local museum...they were visiting our State , Tasmania , as part of a three month trip to Australia and New Zealand...Really nice people and we talked for about half an hour , I'm a pretty good talker ....I'd only just started building my first HO layout after deciding to switch from N Scale and I love the American rail system , diversity , so many options , and due to that a great choice of models...Our systems in Australia , apart from the huge mining unit trains in Western Australia (WA) and Queensland like BHP Billiton , Pilbara Rail , and Rio Tinto are run by state governments , including our own TasRail..So to have the great competition in the private sector rail like yours must lead to competitive trading and better shipping prices...I'm modelling mostly BNSF but also transition period ATSF/BN stuff , run SD40-2s , SD70 ACe s A couple of GE 8-40 CWs , same with GE 9-44 CWs and more recently some nice ES44 ACs...and doing double stack mostly.Just curious...what era are you likely to model?...No matter what you choose , you'll find some genuine experts to help you via this fantastic forum...people who REALLY know their stuff...I've been helped several times already...and may have added a tiny bit back once or twice...By the way , the California couple who weren't rail fans did know of Cajon Pass...I said it like Cage On Pass but was politely corrected to say it more like Cahone Pass...only seen it on You Tube til then...Great to talk to you...Enjoy the forum...Cheers Rod...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rod,
I am going for 1950's to maybe early 60's. I have two old AHM FM C liners and thought I could model the era they are from. I am going to run DC power due to the fact that I can not afford DCC. The layout is going to be small, only 4 x 6 in HO scale. This is my first layout at 48 yrs old so hopefully it will turn out ok. Several folks have helped me along the way. I have a few pics posted in my photo journal if you would like to check them out. Nothing special really but I guess it is better than nothing.

Thanks
Scott

G'day Scott.....Don't discount DCC just yet...to be honest the DCC stuff is amazingly cheap nowadays...I replaced my old ROCO Multimaus with an entry level NCE Powercab towards the end of last year for under $150...and the difference in price between a decent DC and something like that isn't that much , but the scope is way bigger..A DCC ready locomotive can be bought well under $100 for many brands and a 4 function decoder I've seen for about $30 on many occasions...It just keeps getting more and more affordable...The Bachmann entry level DCC command isn't expensive at all either...not the best , granted , but a great way to enter DCC...Lots of sets now factor in DCC control as part of the set up ...I know Bachmann do some top sets in this area and perhaps worth a look....But DC is still lots of fun and if you go that way , you'll still enjoy this amazing hobby regardless...What a great time in the 1950s and 60s to do...THAT WILL BE A GREAT CHOICE....Cheers Rod..

Back