Headlights not working

73mph

Just noticed my headlights on my engine (Lionel 6-30001, Santa Fe El Capitan) are not working.

Opened up the engine and noticed a plug for the headlights was not plugged in. On the circuit board, pictured below, there's a J3 and a J4 connection. I've tried both connections, but neither seem to power the headlights. I noticed the two side lights were connected to the two yellow twist caps (bundle), but I'm guessing the headlights run off a different source since they have a connector.

I've inspected the wires for the connector and the headlights, and they appear to be good. I don't see any other connections this connector can connect to.

Anyone have any knowledge of this or ideas?

I did try to take the engine down to the local train store (where I purchased it from last Christmas), but their repair guy was a bit standoffish in just giving me an opinion. Thing about it is, I looked through my pictures, from last Christmas, and the lights were not working then either. So, pretty much they've never worked since I bought it.

th_sfe01.jpg
th_sfe02.jpg
th_sfe03.jpg
th_sfe04.jpg

Appreciate the help.
:)

Did you buy this new? Somethings not right. I've never seen wire nuts used on a new locomotive wiring job and the wires that are coming out of those wire nuts don't match the rest of the engine wiring. I would take it back to where you bought it and have them either get out a Lionel repair manual for this engine or get one e-mailed or faxed. It looks to me like someone modified that wiring but Lionel.

My wife bought this train brand new (local train dealer), last Christmas. Had it out for one week, and took it out about two weeks ago and noticed the headlights weren't on. Looked at the Christmas photos, from last year, and they weren't working then either.

I'll take it back down there tomorrow. Hopefully, the repair guy is a bit more pleasant then last time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's what Lionel responded with...

Yes, J3 is for Front Light and J4 is Rear Light. Also check the soldertab on the front motor mount and ensure the white light wires are solidly soldered to the tab.

OK, so what does that tell us? Check to see if the white power pickup wires are soldered correctly to the tab on the front motor mount. If they are and you still have no lights, something else is wrong. I still think something is wrong with having that wire nut in there. If that's really standard Lionel, I would have a cow with the price you pay for one of those engines.

Back