Headlight circuit problems

OakHillsRR

Hi everyone, I joined here after not being able to find an answer from local hobby shops and the internet hoping that someone can help me. I have an Accucraft with a very simple but broken headlight circuit. I have not been able to find any plug and play circuits for sale and I don't necessarily want to build my own (I know its simple). The current circuit is a voltage limiting to 6 volts with an incandescent bulb. My two ideas are either run the light wired directly to the pickups on the locomotive since the speed is always kept low (usually around 7-8 volts), or replace this circuit with one that would drop the V to around 3 and run an LED. Im open to any other ideas or concerns, thanks for your help in advance and your patience as I work on my first layout!

Dan

First what size LEDs are you planning on using, then were are you getting them and do you know the working (forward voltage) of them. You're probably going to need a resistor and diode for each LED and also they will only be on in the direction they point.

Let's get this out of the way then we can go on further.

Jim

Back