He who hesitates is ..... Careful

russell

Until a few days ago I had become intrigued by the idea of switching to N-scale with Kato Unitrack and with DCC.

Whether or not I'll jump ship to N-scale is still a question mark. I could just get sound for my two Atlas DCC Ready locomotives and enjoy my small HO layout.

But then I took a partial plunge buying some Unitrack on the net: 2 feeders, 2 uncouplers, and the M2 and V3 track sets which haven't arrived yet. I figured this was enough to give me a feel for N-scale i.e. do I find it too small or is it okay? I have not bought a locomotive yet. I might do that locally just so that I can see the locomotive run on the test track before I pay for it. Unfortunately our 3 local shops sell at the full Walters catalogue price plus local taxes - about 15%.
So the good news for you guys is that if I don't like N-scale I'll have some mint, cheap Unitrack for sale :). The bad news is that if I do like it, I'll have lots and lots of questions about N-scale :eek:.

Wishing you all a nice weekend.

I'd get "something" to run on the Unitrack. Just don't get something "cheep". You could probably get a DCC-ready road switcher and a handful of cars for under $100 with careful shopping on Fleabay or N Scale Yard Sale (that's an emailed, member-only list).

Until a few days ago I had become intrigued by the idea of switching to N-scale with Kato Unitrack and with DCC.

Whether or not I'll jump ship to N-scale is still a question mark. I could just get sound for my two Atlas DCC Ready locomotives and enjoy my small HO layout.

But then I took a partial plunge buying some Unitrack on the net: 2 feeders, 2 uncouplers, and the M2 and V3 track sets which haven't arrived yet. I figured this was enough to give me a feel for N-scale i.e. do I find it too small or is it okay? I have not bought a locomotive yet. I might do that locally just so that I can see the locomotive run on the test track before I pay for it. Unfortunately our 3 local shops sell at the full Walters catalogue price plus local taxes - about 15%.
So the good news for you guys is that if I don't like N-scale I'll have some mint, cheap Unitrack for sale :). The bad news is that if I do like it, I'll have lots and lots of questions about N-scale :eek:.

Wishing you all a nice weekend.

JMO, your going the right way, and your going to be happy with what ya bought! I been in N scale for a while and I just started using the kato track I love it for n scalw!

Thank you Chris, As soon as I have something, I'll be letting you all know how it's going.

And BNSF971 wrote,
You could probably get a DCC-ready road switcher

Yes, I'd like a switcher but I find they're difficult to find with a Canadian logo in n-scale.

I plan on getting a Kato or Atlas. If it's DCC ready does this mean that having spent lots of money there's nothing to do? All it needs is a DCC power pack?

I just found an Atlas n-scale switcher which came out in 2008, the MP15DC. One version is MSRP Standard, the other is decoder equipped MSRP.

Is this a good locomotive?

What is MSRP?

MSRP is manufacturer's suggested retail price, how much Atlas suggests charging for one of them.

Atlas is generally good, and if you can get it with a decoder in it, chances are it's decent quality. Certainly looks nice. :)

Atlas always has nice stuff. I've used some of their equipment in both N and HO and liked it. Although I haven't run an N scale locomotive, I've heard they are good runners. I think you should be good with that engine. If you are looking to purchase a road engine, Kato has good engines, and my older AC4400CW still runs like a charm.

I do have a DCC equipped Atlas BNSF B40-8W in BNSF Heritage II paint. However, it hasn't been out of the box because I've never bought a DCC system to run it. I am looking to sell it though, and you can send me a PM if interested.

Thank you Chris, As soon as I have something, I'll be letting you all know how it's going.

And BNSF971 wrote,

Yes, I'd like a switcher but I find they're difficult to find with a Canadian logo in n-scale.

I plan on getting a Kato or Atlas. If it's DCC ready does this mean that having spent lots of money there's nothing to do? All it needs is a DCC power pack?

I just found an Atlas n-scale switcher which came out in 2008, the MP15DC. One version is MSRP Standard, the other is decoder equipped MSRP.

Is this a good locomotive?

What is MSRP?
Firs, yes, that's a good locomotive. I've had a handful of them, and the only reason I don't still have them is that I went to HO scale from N, and liquidated them.
Second, "road switcher" is a term for a road locomotive that can also perform switching, like a GP9, C424, or GP15.
The MP15 you found has road trucks, so it is a road switcher the other way. It can also venture out on the road if needed, though its lack of dynamic brakes and small fuel tank put it at a disadvantage.

Firs, yes, that's a good locomotive. I've had a handful of them, and the only reason I don't still have them is that I went to HO scale from N, and liquidated them.
Second, "road switcher" is a term for a road locomotive that can also perform switching, like a GP9, C424, or GP15.
The MP15 you found has road trucks, so it is a road switcher the other way. It can also venture out on the road if needed, though its lack of dynamic brakes and small fuel tank put it at a disadvantage.

Well, prototypically speaking, yes. But as far as the model is concerned it could be the primary power for the layout.

Thanks Terry. The information you gave about switchers is news to me and nice to know.

The MSRP is $115 and $150 for without and with decoder respectively.

"N" Scale Supply, Brooklyn Locomotive Works and two of the best that I have dealt with. Always have delivered to me on time and in good condition. "N" Scale Supply has a used Loco section and have stood behind what they sell for me at least. I am sure there are other good internet retailers but these are to two I have dealt with. I have not had as good of luck on E-bay. Prices seem to get to high and when you think You have something bid on at the right price one of what I call late comers puts in a bid just before closing knocking me out of it. Sometimes it is my fault for not bidding high enough so that goes with the territory. I usually go to a local shop and try to buy first and that way I can also touch and feel. It may not be the unit I buy but at least I have seen one run. We have a HobbyTown USA on the NE side on INDY and the manager is a model railroader so they have a really good selection of all kinds of MRR equipment and related items. They also are reasonable in their pricing. I hope this helps you russell. I know these forums have greatly helped me over the years and good luck on whatever you end doing witht he hobby.

I literally just went through this process. Looks like I'll be making the switch myself. It wasn't easy - HO tugs at my heart strings and I'm going to have to sell of much of it to fund my N project. For me it all came down to what kind of trains I wanted to run and model. I like longer consists (passenger and freight) and I am currently space-constrained. I can't bring myself to configure "tail chasers" running on a tight radius layout; it just drives me nuts.

It's not all golden on the N side. I love Unitrack and the engines/rolling stock I have at the moment, but selection is definitely more limited and it's certainly not a big money saver. Stuff that was easy to find in the HO world can be a challenge in N, but I'm just getting back into it and am not and advanced modeler. The upside is that the N side of things seems to be improving weekly, so hopefully that continues.

If there were a good HO club that were more convenient to me, I'd probably keep a lot of my HO stuff and run it there, but as it stands I will be putting it on the block (which at least appeases my SO).

Good luck!!!

Larry thank you. I'll be having a look at those sites you mentioned. I agree, the forum is a God send. It not only helps but is a pleasure in itself. It's fun to share a pleasure/hobby with others from across the U.S., Canada and elsewhere.
I've ordered my Unitrack from an American internet supplier and this retailer is new to me. I'll save my comments until after delivery :rolleyes:

Stumper, I just finished boxing my HO stuff yesterday. I'm not yet ready to let it all go. Maybe my son and grandson would like the stuff, who knows. But first things first. I'll try the track with an Atlas or Kato, watch it go round and see how I feel about it.

Cheers for now.

Stumper, I just finished boxing my HO stuff yesterday. I'm not yet ready to let it all go. Maybe my son and grandson would like the stuff, who knows. But first things first. I'll try the track with an Atlas or Kato, watch it go round and see how I feel about it.

Cheers for now.

Hi Russell
I'm also getting back into trains and have decided to go with N scale. I have lots of boxes of barely used Lionel and Z scale to sell.

Any suggestions on where is the best place to sell these trains? I'm familiar with eBay but I'm not sure that is where I would get the best price for Like New trains in the original boxes.

Where are you thinking about selling your HO stuff?

Dave
PS I credit card is still moaning from being over used today. I bought a bunch of Kato N scale.

Back