Having trouble with an Athearn RS-3?

SSW

I was having trouble with BOTH of my Athearn RTR RS-3's on both DCC and DC with intermittent stopping and starting- they appeared to lose all electrical contact. I cleaned wheels. I checked connections on the board, no help.

IF your RS-3's are having the same problem, pull the trucks -- the top electrical contact that meshes with the frame and kingpin was PAINTED SOLID. I thought to myself "Gee, no wonder it won't run worth a hoot!"

Filed paint off the contacts, cleaned it up real well, and haven't had a lick of trouble.

Athearn's QC is getting quite lax lately. My Milwaukee SD40-2 bicentennial had a huge paint scratch on the cab front, and the motor wasn't even screwed in, and the person that assembled my MP15AC stripped a coupler pocket out.

Thanks for posting that! I was about ready to see how far I could throw my RS-3, then I opened it up, and sure enough, paint all over the contacts. So I filed 'em off, put the shell back on and...

I'm thinking I can get about a hundred and fifty feet if I play the wind right...:mad:

Oh well...

Back