Having trouble programming an NCE switch-8 for tortoises.

So here's the deal. I haven't soldered the tortoises to the turnouts yet, all I've done is screw them down and solder on the wires to terminals 1 and 8, perfectly according to instructions. I'm doing them in an odd order because these two are the easiest to get at (tabletop mounted because of clearance issues on the underside).
I installed one, #7, on the proper terminals and fiddled with it because it would only throw one way. As I installed #8, the same thing happened. You could push the throw over (Forcefully but carefully) but it would go straight back. I tried a ton of addresses trying to get 7 to respond, but when 8 wouldn't, I decided to try reprogramming the decoder. That's when I read the instructions and realized...

....The programming jumper came on the decoder.

Anyway, fast forward 5 minutes, and #8 will throw but for some reason #7 reprogrammed itself to address #2. When I put the programming jumper on and follow the instructions supplies (Using a power cab) the programming doesn't seem to do anything. I do have the rotary switch in the right place, and everything's still attached well.
HELP?

Back