Harder plaster?

jbaakko

Diesel Detail Freak
Whats the best "strongest" plaster product on the market? I'm planning to cast in place a short retaining wall with plaster, but I want a plaster that will not chip easily.
Josh

Hydrocal. Dries up smooth and hard. Doesn't absorb stains like regular plaster so paint type finishes are what you have to use. Same stuff that is used for making the hard shell scenery. For castings I mix it into a flowable density but not overly watery. Just enough so it will self level in the mold without having to help it along with a spoon or brush. Pour it in slowly and it will fill well with no air pockets. Any excess water will float up and evaporate as it cures.

I agree. Nothing beats Hydrocal if you want some really solid plaster work. If you're lucky, your LHS has it in small boxes. Otherwise, you'll have to get a 50 pound sack at some place like Home Depot. :eek:

Yeah, tha LHS carries Woodland Scenics' Hydrocal, but I'll check another shop before I settle.

Another alternative is Durhams Water Putty. Comes in containers that look like milk cartons, small and large ones. It's a beige powder that mixes up like plaster with water. It's intended to fix holes and cracks in woodwork, can be drilled and sanded. I've used it for scenic modeling on my HO scale modules because of its hardness. I've cast tunnel openings with it and rocks with good success. Especially good to use if you only need a small amount.

I agree. Nothing beats Hydrocal if you want some really solid plaster work. If you're lucky, your LHS has it in small boxes. Otherwise, you'll have to get a 50 pound sack at some place like Home Depot. :eek:

If you end up having to buy a 50 lb bag break it down into several smaller resealable containers like 2 to 5 gallon plastic buckets or various size plastic coffee cans. Hydrocal is processed extremely dehydrated and will absorb moisture and humidity like a sponge. I'm still working with one of those 50 lb bags I bought at least 25 years ago because I broke it into smaller sealed amounts.

Josh- if you don't think the Hydrocal is hard enough, stir up a 3 to 1 mixture with the Durham's Water Putty. 100% Durham's is expensive for large projects and difficult to work once it is completely dry.
The 3:1 part Durham's mixture is strong and still easy to sand or carve.

I was debating the water putty, however the wall will be about about 1/2" tall, and about 1/2" thick at the top, in a rough triangle shape, will the added thickness affect that?

The 3-1 mix, is that with Hydrocal?

I read the article on the scratch builders guild, I had never thought of trying water putty for roads...

Josh - I just realized my answer to your question did not make it to the thread.
Yes, the 3 parts of Hydrocal to Durham's Water Putty is correct.

If you have a larger area to cover, like a slope or incline, you can add shredded paper for "filler". If you use paper from a home shredder, don't use the "slick" paper inserts or brochures.
Mix together to the consistancy of pancake batter.

Another way of reducing chipping with plaster or hydrocal is to add white glue (pva) to the water in a 1:10 ratio. (1 glue to 10 water)

Back