Hand building a curved 75 deg crossing

DALDEI

I need to build a 75 degree crossing based on 2 24" radius curves crossing.
I just need one of these. I'm getting better at switch building (built about 10 now) so I'm hopeful I can do this.
I have been using FastTracks fixtures for all my switches but this is non-standard and even if they existed I only need one so dont want to buy a fixture/jig. Plus I think its a good baby step to totally hand-laying custom trackage.
I downloaded the templates for 90deg and 60deg from handlaidtracks.
I also watched the videos.

My question is, what would be the prefered method of creating the outside track around the bends ?
These are very sharp bends so I dont know if I can clip and bend a continous rail.
So should I instead file 2 rail ends to the right angle and solder them ? or is there a way to bend rail at a 75deg angle ?
I have the basic tools (pointform, stock helper) and 2 fixtures for switches but nothing quite like this.

The other question is should I build the crossing first then put it in place and connect up the leading lines ?
Or I had another idea. That is build the 2 crossing curves fully (I have PCB ties and the curved fixtures) ,
then overlay them and cut the rails where they intersect ? Then fill in loose rail where needed (the guard rails etc).

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks !

-David

I need to build a 75 degree crossing based on 2 24" radius curves crossing.
I just need one of these. I'm getting better at switch building (built about 10 now) so I'm hopeful I can do this.
I have been using FastTracks fixtures for all my switches but this is non-standard and even if they existed I only need one so dont want to buy a fixture/jig. Plus I think its a good baby step to totally hand-laying custom trackage.
I downloaded the templates for 90deg and 60deg from handlaidtracks.
I also watched the videos.

My question is, what would be the prefered method of creating the outside track around the bends ?
These are very sharp bends so I dont know if I can clip and bend a continous rail.
So should I instead file 2 rail ends to the right angle and solder them ? or is there a way to bend rail at a 75deg angle ?
I have the basic tools (pointform, stock helper) and 2 fixtures for switches but nothing quite like this.

The other question is should I build the crossing first then put it in place and connect up the leading lines ?
Or I had another idea. That is build the 2 crossing curves fully (I have PCB ties and the curved fixtures) ,
then overlay them and cut the rails where they intersect ? Then fill in loose rail where needed (the guard rails etc).

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks !

-David

Contact Fast Tracks and see if they can make you a one time jig.

Back