Ground throws

zoegraf

Craftsman at heart
I read somewhere that ground throws are on the curved side of the turnout. Is this true? I have no room on some of my turnouts to put a throw bar on the straight side.

You should be able to flip the switch piece to the other side to allow for greater flexibility. I do this all the time with my atlas switches

I haven't done this yet with a peco switch. But i do not see why you cant do it with a peco.

Are you just to tight on space? If not add a piece of piano wire inside a small peice of round tubing to extend your reach for a ground throw.

Do what you have to do. :)
Switch stands are placed where they will be safest to operate. For example, in a typical yard ladder, the switch stands will be on the straight side so that employees don't have to cross the tracks to get from one to the next.
On a 'pinwheel' ladder, the switch stands would be on the curved legs.
'Generally,' they will be on the straight side, but there's a prototype for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're using Atlas turnouts, it is easy to reverse them as joed said. I have done it on about 25% of my layout. While I usually do it because of clearance issues, there are a few that I did so I wouldn't have to reach over things to operate them.
willie

Back