Grandt Line 23 Ton Boxcab

Boxcab26

Just picked one up. Anyone out there have any experience with them? Building, painting, running? Not much out there on the web I've found.

I don't know much about them except they are very popular for kitbashing to HOn3 gauge and I've never read anything negative about the kit and those that have them say they run very smoothly. I have no idea how difficult or easy they are to build.

I have a 23 ton, end cab, and its great until you glue the gear to the frame... lol. Runs on a slot car motor so its a bit jerky, and fast...

Doubt it, its a very small space. The box cab has a bit more room, but... With proper maintenance, and a very small dcc decoder, it should run good though.

Hummm, the newer PDT's run better then the early ones, wonder if it might work. That would leave plenty of room in the body for the DCC.

Pretty Darn Tiny, is a small, truck sized motor. No need for the inside-body motor & drive shafts...

Hummm, the newer PDT's run better then the early ones, wonder if it might work. That would leave plenty of room in the body for the DCC.

In my mind, it's worth a try.

Sorry Josh, the article in question is from Model Railroader, May 1980, not RMC. Looked it up on trains magazine index. Got everything right but the mag!:eek:

Well, got to work! Cab is ready, added a bigger airbell and horn. Motor needs wiring, but it's ready to go. If I had a soldering iron it would be an honest days work. I'm forgoing some of the detailing knowing the service this motor will be put through. I plan on lighting it directionaly as well. If you have the kit, by all means put it together!!!

Back