GP9's, where do you get them?

Pacodutaco

What is a good source for nice running GP9's? Does anyone make an undecorated version that is DCC / Sound Ready currently?

Most of mine are also Athearn Genesis, but if you are budget minded Bachman makes a nice entry level one. You have to detail it to get it to the level of the Genesis. Not much out there in undec these days. The manufacturers I've talked with say they don't sell

Espeefan;328157...Not much out there in undec these days. The manufacturers I've talked with say they don't sell[/QUOTE said:
Yeah, just us old guys can't support the need for undec's can we Alan? Getting an undec, detailing it up properly, then painting & decaling it properly, just don't make it in this hobby anymore. If RTR wasn't here, I sometimes wonder how many of these guys would be in the hobby. But, while I won't do RTR, doesn't mean someone else shouldn't. I think I'll return to my corner, and build another Sealy Hopper.

I have seen a few Athearn RTR's in undec at my LHS, but sadly, yes, there are not enough of us doing this sort of work anymore. I still have about 20 years worth of brass to paint, and structure kits out the ying-yang, so there is no shortage of stuff to build if one chooses to. That stuff will get done because I won't have to paint & detail common run of the mill freight cars and engines. I have a loco to paint this weekend. GN 4-8-0 for a friend & customer, so I'll be downstairs stinking up the basement!

I just searched GP9 on ebay and found a set of 3(1 powered 2 unpowered) undecorated gp9 in a set. They are $25 with 9 hours to go. Sorry couldn't get the link to copy. They were under the HO scale section if that is the scale you are looking for.

What is a good source for nice running GP9's? Does anyone make an undecorated version that is DCC / Sound Ready currently?

Current production includes Athearn Genesis, and Bachmann. Both run nicely. As Alan said, Bachmann's come with significantly less detail, but can be had at a significantly lower price. No undecorated in either category. Older - now almost ancient - Proto 2000 units can be found in the secondary market, but not all of them are DCC ready, although some are undecorated.

Joe

The Proto Geeps are nice but if you go that route you are likely to experience the cracked axle gear issue Proto had with many of the four axle units. This is not a huge problem as there are aftermarket sets available from Walthers. Some like to use Athearn gears but they are slightly different from the proto sets and can result in noisier operation though they will work.

Forum:

I have several Milwaukee and SOO GP9's from Proto, with DCC and Sound, older models but never had any problems with cracked gears. Great runners and nice sound. You may be able to find these GP9's at swap meets or new on Ebay.

I never encountered any problems with cracked gears with any of my Proto units of any vintage or production.

Thanks.

Greg

Forum:

I never encountered any problems with cracked gears with any of my Proto units of any vintage or production.

Thanks.

Greg

You are indeed fortunate, or acquired units that already had the cracked gears swapped out. Four of five Proto GP9s, bought new, had cracked gears. Three GP7s didn't. My three GP30s also came in NIB with cracked gears.

The Walthers replacement axles, though pricey, are easy fixes and work well. The Athearn replacement axles work well also. So this is not really an issue with me.

Joe

Greg, the newer models with DCC & sound were done after this problem was licked. I was talking about the older Life Like Proto models in blue boxes. I was also lucky with these as only one of mine had the issue, a GP-9! it was prevalent in four axle locos. I never saw any problems with six axle units.

Espeefan:

You're correct about the later Proto models having the problem solved, but I know of one modeler that did purchase several of the newer models that had wheel sets that either came broken or he did a replacement of wheel sets after experiencing problems. This was just shortly after Walther's purchased the Proto line.

The five or six GP9's I purchased was when the broken axle problem was still a widely discussed problem.

On sort of the same subject....

This modeler, who as a general practice, would disassemble all his new locos and remove the gears and wheel sets and re-lube the engine after removing the factory lubes. He did a before and after demo of a new engine and while the results were minor, slow speeds were improved immediately.

I have a "wheel shop" on my work bench. It's a clear plastic box approximately 6" X 10" with 10 divided storage areas. I keep my supply of couplers, coupler springs, new metal wheels, misc. sizes of screws, axle cleaner, wheel puller, other coupler parts and just in case....spare Proto loco wheel sets.

Hope I never drop this box, I'll be looking on the floor for the parts for years.

Thanks.

Greg

Back