Gp40x

Tasco26

Defendin Freedom Since 99
OK, so im looking into this engine and was wondering something about it.

The SP version has the "elephant ears" and was wondering if they come off?

If they do come off, would it still have the flare look like the SF ones?

If someone is confused here's what im talking about:
http://www.athearn.com/Products/Zoom.aspx?ProdID=ATH94721

http://www.athearn.com/Products/Zoom.aspx?ProdID=ATH94705

I know that Athearn discontinued the SF one but thats what im looking for to match up with the SD45 im going to get.

Thanks for the help.

By going back and forth between the two Athearn pictures I noticed that there are a few differences in the smaller detail parts between the two models on the cabs and at the end of the hood.

I have to agree with Rotor, I would hold out for the SF version on Ebay or maybe a t a LHS?

The flare will still be there when you remove the elephant ears, but the cab and nose are wrong for SF. Note the 'L' shaped window and notch in the nose for the SP head light. The side frames are also different.

I agree with the others, check out ebay. Or at least look for another road name. The CP or Athearn Aniversary units would be better starting points.

Thanks for the help guys. My biggest concern was the elephant ears and if they are removable. Ive also found some undec ones but they are either UP or SP not SF. I also found one SF GP40X on ebay but the bid stops sometime today but im short on the cash and time. Again thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help guys. My biggest concern was the elephant ears and if they are removable. Ive also found some undec ones but they are either UP or SP not SF. I also found one SF GP40X on ebay but the bid stops sometime today but im short on the cash and time. Again thanks for the help.
I am the proud owner of a Kodachrome GP40X! It runs great and has excellent detail. Search around a few hobby shops, they'll probably have one. I got mine last year.

Sp Gp40x

I am considering the Athearn SP GP40X. From what I have seen it has excellent detail. I will convert it to DCC. Does anyone know if the nose light is wired to allow independent control of the white and red lights?

White lights function, but are wired in with the Headlight function. I need to change this with my beacon on my SPSF 40X.

So is it safe to say that SP was the only ones that had "elephant ears"? or did another RR have it?

I see that the following RR had a GP40X

SP
UP
NS
Southern
ATSF
BNSF
TPW
BDLX
NREX
HCLX
GMTX

CP had ears, on SD40-2's, and SP on the GP40X & SD45's. I doubt anyone else ever did, it was a tunnel thing.

Sp Gp40x

Hopefully one final question on the front lights of the GP40X
Do both cab and nose light stay on all the time? Is one a gyralite?
I am trying to model them correctly with DCC.

If you want to be accurate, the lower lights are the headlights and the lights above the cab are the Mars lights. The headlights would be on and steady and the Mars light would be oscillating. F1 Controls both sets of lights on and steady, which is not prototypically accurate. You'd want a decoder with a Mars light function and then rewire the top lights to the Mars light output on the decoder. SP locomotives almost always ran with the headlights and Mars lights on at the same time.

SP GP40X headlights

Thanks UP2CSX
I pulled out some of my SP DVD's and watched some similiar units in action. If the cab light was on the nose light was also on. I did see many cases where only the nose light was on.
Anyway, I put a LokSound decoder in my SP GP40X and it sounds great. I wired the lights up so the cab light is controlled by F12. However, according to the LokSound manual all of the function keys have a forward and backward CV. I only set F12 forward, which worked, then when I put the locomotive in reverse, the cab lights apparently got 15 volts and burned out. I now have to get some new lights and set F12 backward to also control the cab lights. Then I will set the cab lights to mars.

Back