Gp38ac?

ICG/SOU

HO & O (3-rail) trainman
I was doing some research tonight, and came across a listing of GP38ACs that IC/ICG had. For the most part, it seems that if IC bought an EMD, it usually did not come with dynamic brakes, or if it did, they usually took them off. What stands out to me is that the GP38ACs have dynamic brakes, and with the exception of the dynamic brakes, look like the GP38-2s they had.

Are there any exterior differences in GP38AC and GP38-2s? Finding GP38 models without dynamic brakes, with air filters and with small fuel tanks is not easy, but if there isn't a discernible difference (other than the above), then it opens up some customizing choices by me.

I hope wasn't confusing. Thanks in advance.

Hi Trey,
The major difference between a GP38-2 and a GP38AC is in the power plant. A GP38-2 uses a generator tthat produces DC voltage, whereas a GP38AC has an altenator that produces AC voltage, which is converted to DC via thyristor contttttrols.

Cheers, Simon

Externally, they are different, if you know what to look for. Well-crafted dash-2 models will have bolt on battery boxes, a rear of cab roof overhang, a water sight glass on the long hood, and many will have Blomberg M trucks, rather than straight Blombergs.

Good question IG/SOU. Farmrail acquired 4 GP38AC's and 2 GP38's from the IAIS and I've been wondering the same myself.

I forgot about the roof overhang.

I'll have to look through my livery to see what matches.

Thanks for the help.

It was my understanding that a straight GP38 and a GP38AC have no external differences, which is why the same differences vs dash 2 models apply.. As a previous poster already mentioned those differences are the cab overhang, sight glass, and a few other details that makes them distinct from the -2.

I can't seem to get the Atlas website to come up, but I believe their latest run of new GP38/GP40 paint schemes are based on the GP38AC models..

Back