GP38-2 (install sound) or go to GP40-2

smlull163

Just looking for some feedback. I'm working on 2 Proto GP38-2's. I've placed Atlas trucks on them, changed drive shafts, cleaned them up a bunch and was wondering about sound. they have Digitrax DH163L0 in them. I know I have to change the decoder.
But I've read a far amount of items saying that the GP38-2 is not really prototypical. I'm not sure I'd know the difference, I just like running the train! So the question is, could I put a GP40-2 shell on it? Is it a lot of work? has anyone done this? Is this just way not really a good idea? Should I just stick with sound into the GP38-2 shells?

Scott

Only change the shell if you dont like them, personally,i know my CN F7-9 I isnt prototypical at all, so what ? earth wont stop spinnings. if your loco are how you like them, there is no problem !

As you say, you just like running your train, in that case who cares if its not prototypical? If on the other hand you're trying to faithfully recreate your favorite prototype down to the last rivet, well then change it!

I'm lost. You've got 2 Proto2K GP38-2s that you want sound in, so you've replaced the trucks, drive shafts, and want to change the shell too? What are you going for?

If you want sound, a Proto 2000 frame is your worst nightmare. The lead weight fills every nook and cranny under the shell.

Unless you strategically mill away a part of the weight to fit the speaker, theres no way you can get sound in it.

Thank you for the feedback. I should explain myself better.

Yes, The Proto frame and lead wight fill every nook and cranny under this shell. My original project was to solve the running gear issue with the Proto. It was extremely draggy, did not move at low throttle and really was unmanageable in running a train. So, I googled GP38-2 and found lots of wonderful info. How to clean trucks, usual issues to look for and tips on how to make it better. As a first project, it was pretty intense, but I have the time and I look forward to working on them. But as I got into the project more, swapped the trucks, researched more and asked myself if I wanted sound, that changed the overall scope of my project. More reading brought up the GP40-2 question.

I do like running the train, especially after updating the running gear and getting all the lights to wrk correctly. Something satisfying in doing that. The swapping the shell question was more a spur of the moment thing as I read more.

I do believe the original scope was to get it running better (running gear) and to make it a better functioning locomotive. I have done that. I am intrigued and amazed by sound. My uncle (an old C&O Engineer) would be just speechless at these developements.

I'm sticking with the GP38-2, making it a good, reliable loco and will purchase something else to dip my hand into the "sound bug" group.

Thanks to you all for your kind words and questions.

Scott - VB

I thought the worm gear was the problem, not the trucks.

For those who say that the P2K model is wrong, what's wrong about it?

diburning. I am not sure what caused or helped the cause. The gears inside the trucks, even clean did okay, but were not smooth. I did polish them, but they seemed to "wobble" even when the truck was snapped together. The worm gear didn't have any burrs or anything. I cleaned and lubed according to a NRMA / Athearn page I found. I have kept all the old pieces. With the Atlas trucks and the worm gears it really seems to be very smooth. Even a real low speed.

I've been reviewing my pages I favored, but did not favorite the ones that mentioned something "out of sorts" on the GP38-2. In fact, now all I find are webpages that mention how sturdy the model is.

Well, ironically the Atlas GP38-2s had problems with their trucks.

If you're going to install sound, how about just using an entire Atlas chassis?

Thanks! I hadn't thought of swapping the whole chassis. I'll look into that.

(I did notice that the gears are thicker in the Atlas and thinner in the Proto)

Back