Gp30/20

macjet

Will the GP30 body fit a GP20 chassis? I've got a GP20 chassis and I'm looking for a different shell since I destroyed the one that came with it.:rolleyes:

If not, what will?

What manufacturer? The frame and truck dimensions of the GP-20 and GP-30 are identical so it should fit but each manufacturer tends to take liberties with scale measurements. If it's Athearn, it will fit fine since they used the GP-20 as the basis of the GP-30. For other companies, I don't know but there's a good chance the GP-30 shell will fit if they also produced a GP-20.

P2K. I can't order a new shell from Walther's since they don't have them and I don't ever see GP20 shells on ebay. I do see a lot of GP30's so I thought if the chassis matched (pretty close at least) on looks and scale then I'd build a switcher out of a 30.

The GP-18, GP-20, GP-28, GP-30, and GP-35 had exactly the same prototype chassis dimensions so a GP-35 shell should also work.

Well, looks like Jim beat me to it. All should *key word should* work. However, the internal weighting of P2K's might require some major re-working.

What manufacturer? The frame and truck dimensions of the GP-20 and GP-30 are identical so it should fit but each manufacturer tends to take liberties with scale measurements. If it's Athearn, it will fit fine since they used the GP-20 as the basis of the GP-30. For other companies, I don't know but there's a good chance the GP-30 shell will fit if they also produced a GP-20.

Athearn never made a GP20 and they haven't made a GP30 for something like 40 years. So I'm fairly certain we're talking about the Proto 2000 models. I have not tried to swap out the drives but the position of the cab is different between the GP20 and GP30, and the P2K models have conforming cast weights that tightly occupy these spaces. With the weight removed, it should go - but what I don't know is if the models actually use the same base frame or not. There may be some trimming required.

Andy

The GP-18, GP-20, GP-28, GP-30, and GP-35 had exactly the same prototype chassis dimensions so a GP-35 shell should also work.

Sorry, but check your truck bolster spacing. The GP18 and GP20 had the same spacing (31') as the GP7 and GP9's. Whereas the GP30 and GP35 have 32' between the truck bolsters.

Macjet,
You could always do a rebuilt loco that would go on to the GP20 chassis. For example there are BN's GP28M and EMD's BL20-2.

Dan

Macjet,
You could always do a rebuilt loco that would go on to the GP20 chassis. For example there are BN's GP28M and EMD's BL20-2.

Dan

That sounds interesting. I've got the shell and the only thing that is damaged is the cab. I haven't been able to find a round top cab anywhere.

Macjet,

Dan

Oops! I just looked a couple of photos and the modeling article on the BL20-2 and noticed that the fuel & air tank arrangement is that of a GP7/9/18. So the GP20 chassis would not work (without modification) for a BL20-2.
For the GP28M you could use a GP35 shell as the starting point, thats what I used for my unit.

Dan

Back