Got bored, started doodling a new layout

Marlin39

I've finished the current version of my fairly long (12') switching layout. The width starts at one end at 1' and finishes at the far end at 3'. I've torn it down and rebuilt, on the same real estate, almost every 2 years. I am at the point where I would really like to have some type of a continuous loop with just a few turnouts. Basically a minimalist layout. More time spent on scenery, fewer structures & industries, and time to sit back with a drink watching a train run around.

My wife and I moved into a fairly large apartment when we first got married. I built (negotiated actually) a layout in the living room using a 4x8 sheet of plywood. It was built so that half the sheet was a hinged drop leaf. It was kept pushed up against a wall so it was out of HER way. ;)

I want to try something similar again, since I need to share the real estate in my office. I'm considering a lighter "skeletal" drop leaf this time so I can operate from the middle. I'm not really concerned with landscaping the drop leaf since my back will be to it. I also want to figure out some type of folding legs. Connecting the sections should be fairly easy using the new expandable track from Walthers.

The drop leaf could also be used as the staging track, imaginary interchange, etc.

9'x5' is the maximum space I have for a layout with a loop.

Feedback on the "doodling" and drop leaf ideas is appreciated. I want to keep this simple, not over engineer it.😁

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN2514.JPG
    DSCN2514.JPG
    294.2 KB · Views: 23

Back