Good speakers for sound decoders?

blue92rs

Cheaper than therapy!
Hello all! I recently made the switch to DCC and I am loving it. I picked up a NCE Powercab starter set for $148 on ebay. I have a Proto 2k GP30 that came with a digitrax 121 installed. (A $25 ebay find) After a little research and playing around, I realized how basic the decoder was. I decided that if I am going to do this right, all 4 of my locos needed DCC with sound. My first purchase was the MRC 1825 that was made for my Athearn Genesis SD45-2. Being an audio system guy at heart I was surprised to see how the speaker was installed. Not the best option for sound quality. Even though the tinny sound got to me after awhile, I am still thrilled with how cool it is to see the loco come to life. My next project was my Bachmann SD40-2 which was DC only (and did not run very well) I ditched the light board and resistors that was in there and replaced it with the MRC 1619. Now its the best runner I have! The next project is the P2K GP30. So far, it seems only Tsunami makes the appropriate decoder for the 567 D3 turbocharged prime mover. Does any one have any suggestions for good speakers to go with the Tsunami or MRC decoders? I did a little research and found the Railmaster Hobbies speakers. Some are even available with enclosures! Not a fan of oval speakers, but in any application what really matters is cone area and appropriate baffling.
I will be upgrading the speakers on the two MRC decoders eventually. Any thoughts, comments, suggestions, or experiences on good speaker choices are greatly appreciated.

Well, I did a google search on the railmaster hobbies speakers and read many good reviews, so I will give one a try and let you know how it works out

Back