Good news all around but give me your thoughts.

Stein: I really like that design. Would you mind if I used it to try out a full track plan?

Feel free to extract whatever ideas you deem worth keeping, and to fold, spindle and mutilate the rest to your heart's desire.

The only thing I wish it had was more levels of visible/scenic area. I might try to make it a multi deck so I don't have to put double mains in. Maybe.
There might not be enough room to get good separation for the levels.

In principle, both turn back loops could contain helices (helixes?), to help increase vertical separation between two decks. Just make sure the lowest level is not so low that it gets back breaking to crawl under the table and into the helix if necessary.

The access hole can be a little smaller because there is no wall on the west side.

Of course - slipped my mind. So you could have an easy/short duck under on that side. That's good - also makes it easier to potentially put a helix here - ducking under something 4" wide is considerably easier to duck under 2-3 feet of layout.

Smile,
Stein

Stein, did you use XTrackCAD for that drawing? If so, can you send me that so I don't have to keep referencing the one on here?

Thanks,
Seann

That is going to be some layout and, as already mentioned, should be great fun to build! Look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers and good luck with this,

wombat457

Stein, did you use XTrackCAD for that drawing? If so, can you send me that so I don't have to keep referencing the one on here?

Thanks,
Seann

No problem - here is a zipped version of the XTC file (XTC doesn't seem to be a legal attachment type).

Smile,
Stein

I think this new arrangement has profoundly more long-term enjoyment opportunities. It may not have table-top space for singular large scenes, but it has more room for running trains and it's far easier to walk around in.

Maybe I should join this conversation... That plan look vaguely familiar.

I really like the walk-in design Stein came up with. I wish I had that option in our space. It looks like it would work out great.
The original design does have some reach issues. But that is what you can expect from John Armstrong. I do love the mutli-level design of the original. It is nice to see the trains snaking over and under each other, through mountains and cities.

I haven't been working on our layout much, because I have started a new layout in my own basement. I hope to sneak down to my Dad's house soon to put a day or two worth of work into his layout. I would hate to see it grow mold.:( He isn't much of a scenery guy. So now that the main construction part is done he doesn't really touch scenery. He occasionally runs train around. I do have big plans for a real nice city scene on his, but with work and my layout taking up a bunch of my time, I'm not sure when that come to be.

Keep the pix and posts coming. I would love to see this layout come to life.

No problem - here is a zipped version of the XTC file (XTC doesn't seem to be a legal attachment type).

Smile,
Stein

Stein,
I hate to be a pain but I have tried everything to get the file to open. If I try to unzip it it asks for a multi level disk. If I try to open it in XTrackCAD it says it is an invalid file. Do you know how to open it?

I think this new arrangement has profoundly more long-term enjoyment opportunities. It may not have table-top space for singular large scenes, but it has more room for running trains and it's far easier to walk around in.

I do too. I do think I will miss the trains snaking around and coming out here or there, but if that's all we give up then I am more than O.K. with that.

Maybe I should join this conversation... That plan look vaguely familiar.

I really like the walk-in design Stein came up with. I wish I had that option in our space. It looks like it would work out great.
The original design does have some reach issues. But that is what you can expect from John Armstrong. I do love the multi-level design of the original. It is nice to see the trains snaking over and under each other, through mountains and cities.

I haven't been working on our layout much, because I have started a new layout in my own basement. I hope to sneak down to my Dad's house soon to put a day or two worth of work into his layout. I would hate to see it grow mold. He isn't much of a scenery guy. So now that the main construction part is done he doesn't really touch scenery. He occasionally runs train around. I do have big plans for a real nice city scene on his, but with work and my layout taking up a bunch of my time, I'm not sure when that come to be.

Keep the pix and posts coming. I would love to see this layout come to life.

Thanks for joining! I hope your layout is going well. Do you have any pics? Make sure you take pics if you get something accomplished on your dad's layout. I loved following the thread on that even if I was late to the party.

As far as my layout goes, I hired my buddy to take some photos for our back drop. He emailed me some proofs today but I have not had a chance to view them yet. I am hoping to learn from my mistakes on the last layout. I wish I would have done the back drop first. I will be taking pics and starting a thread when I get a track plan figured out. Until then I will just keep posting here with my planning progress. Thanks to everyone!

Stein,
I hate to be a pain but I have tried everything to get the file to open. If I try to unzip it it asks for a multi level disk. If I try to open it in XTrackCAD it says it is an invalid file. Do you know how to open it?

Have you installed some program to unzip files on your computer? Assuming windows, you could e.g download and install winzip.

Failing that, start some text editor, grab the file content from here: http://home.online.no/~steinjr/irocsinblue01.xtc, paste it into the text editor and save with file ending .xtc

Smile,
Stein

So, I have been playing around with Steins' idea and this is what I have come up with so far. Please give me your thoughts and opinions especially on the yard and roundhouse tracks. I also have the prelims of the background panoramas done and will post those soon.

irocsinblue.jpg

Back