good HO tank engine

Joe

Hi,
To start I'm basically looking for a nice tank engine for my layout but searching for "tank engine" always gives you thomas produts. I also can only find those common 0-4-0 dockside switchers.
So my question is, does anyone make a good tank engine thats NOT those docksides OR model powers 0-4-0?
It could be saddle, side tank, w/e im just tired of only seeing those for HO.
It seems like N scale has more of a range ???
Something like the 0-4-0 tea kettle would be nice, just something DIFFERENT.

-Joe

Joe, Model Power and Life-Like produce the only two 0-4-0 plastic tank engines in HO. There were a few 0-4-0 tank engines produced in brass but I haven't seen any in years. The problem is that there were never very many 0-4-0 tanks engines ever produced by prototype manufacturers so they were never very popular with modelers. If it hadn't been for Varney making the original B&O Docksider (which is the same model now sold by Life-Like) there probably wouldn't be any of these tank engines at all in HO. The Docksider was used in a lot of train sets as a cheap steam engine and that's what kept it alive all this time. Are you looking for a particular prototype? The Docksider is a good starting point for kitbashing.

Bowser has a ready-to-run 0-4-0 Dockside that is probably also related to the old Varney model. I don't know how to compares to the Life-Like version.

http://bowser-trains.com/hoemrrs/dockside/dockside.htm

Model Power has an 0-6-0 in their Mantua Classics line. I picked up one cheap at Hobby Lobby a few years ago and it's a fine runner. It does have a few visual annoyances that can probably be fixed with a little bit of effort.

http://store.modelpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=111

Model Power has an 0-6-0 in their Mantua Classics line. I picked up one cheap at Hobby Lobby a few years ago and it's a fine runner. It does have a few visual annoyances that can probably be fixed with a little bit of effort.

http://store.modelpower.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=111

Man, talk about the Wayback Machine -- I had one of the originals of this model when I was a kid back in about 1957... Looks like the current model still has the electrical pickup on the middle driver. I may have to get one just for the nostalgia value.

Spectrum made a very excellent 0-6-0 that is a "tanker". They are very smooth runners and fairly good pullers for their size.

IIRC its currently not in the catalog, but one can be had on E-bay fairly easily.

Hmmmm.
Sorry I like that spectrum but I'm not looking for such an expensive modeler. Im very frugal.
So theres not many tank engines huh? Shoulda gone european. They have nice variety.
Maybe I some of you are mistaken. It doesn't HAVE to be an 0-4-0. Actually if anyone makes 0-4-2's that would be great.

There's a greater variety of tank engines available in N scale specifically because some of them were adapted from European designs. If you're really interested in tank engines, I suggest you consider switching to N scale. The Model Power and Life-Like tank engines are the only two inexpensive tank engines of any wheel arrangement available in HO.

No thanks N scale is too small. What about small diesels?
Are there any good ones?

Again Spectrums are good ones to look at for these. They make a 44 and 70 ton diesel.

MDC has a model of a very early diesel, but I don't know if it has been re-released since Horizon bought them.

I'd check with the various internet shops and E-bay to get the best price.

I'll agree wholeheartedly with CJ on a Bachman Spectrum 44 or 70 tonner. Nice engines and you can get them with DCC already installed for less than $45 on e-bay. There are also some small critters like the Tyco/Mantua Plymouth and even some older Athearn Hustlers if you keep looking on e-bay. There are probably more that I've forgotten but there's a way better selection of small diesels in HO than small steam.

Back