GM Locomotives cover or plate?

krn001

Hope i'm posting in the correct forum, I have no idea what this cover is from or what it's used for. I tried google images but couldn't find this, any ideas? It measures 4"

GMroundplate_zpsce12637b.png

If I had to guess, I would say it's a light lense off a locomotive advertising GM Loco's. Which ones, who knows. I definately think it's retro.
Wayne

Is it transparent or just painted aluminum. If its transparent I would call it a lense. If it's all painted aluminum it's a cover of some sort.
Thanks
Wayne

Cannot believe that no one answered ...
Have not seen before, but it sure is cool!

I agree completly!

Is there any gasket material on the back of it? Any signs of grease stains on the back? I doubt I would have covered anything under pressure because it only has 3 bolt holes, but could have been a grease or electrical cover. I am just guessing, I have no idea.

There is a recessed light bulb in the loco "dash board", like a household 40 or 60 watt bulb, but usually 24 volts. The plate shown mounts over it on short stand offs, leaving a gap all around the edge. When the light is on, it radiates out through the gap all around and shines light across the dashboard. Did I explain that clearly enough? Sometimes I confuse my self.

Herman

That sounds plausible.
If it had said 'Boeing' .. I would have said it was in the center of the control yoke from a 707, but I don't think locomotives have a yoke .. LOL.

It would be interesting to discover what model or models of loco it was installed on. It may be quite a vintage piece. Vintage or not it is still a great find and will add something unique to your train room.

I noticed that there are no scratches or other marks around the holes where screw heads would have been holding it in place. Either it would have been mounted from behind say through a hole in an instrument panel with the screws on the back side, or it had a trim ring around it that the screws would have tightened against. Another possibility is it had never been installed. The flaking black paint simply showing the ravages of time and handling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years ago, I had to maintain several of the old switchers and a couple of cranes. All the GE's had a dash light like that. The covers themselves varied some but I have seen that particular one before. If I'm able to insert an image here, this is a picture I found of a GE.

GE Light Cover.jpg

Herman

Thanks for the input. It's solid aluminum & does look like it's meant to be used as a cover where a light, gauge, etc might go. If any gasket material was required then it was either cleaned or had none. I tried google images using the upload feature but nothing came close.

It's interesting that it says GM locomotives rather than EMD, which may place it back in the 1930's (or maybe not). Historical societies, GM itself (since the sale to Caterpillar might make searches more difficult), museums are your best bet.

Back