Gluing track down...

I don't know about where you are Jack, but up here, the tacky glue is about twice the price of the white glue. The white glue works on track and I use it on the scenery too.

Bob, I like that word "morphed". That would be a good name for a railroad like mine instead of the GAP. the East Morphed West(run everything) from the 40's to the 2020's.

Why not run four roads and have your layout as the union? The NMS, SMN,EMW and the WME. Those are take offs on your East Morphed West RR, using the points of the compass. lol

And Larry, "Morph" is the only way I can describe my layout. The original plan is still evident, but the yard, and many of the industrial switching sidings just evolved.

I did do on smart thing in the initial planning. I made the original plan "open-ended". Meaning that any future expansion could be made without tearing up the layout. I can also explain that my layout is operated from both the inside and as an "outside walk around". Depending upon which line you will be operating will determine the area from which you operate. Confusing? Some engines are "handed off" if I ever have enough operators and am having a "marathon" session. I've only had enough operators a few times for one of those sessions.

Sometime I will need to sit down and figure out just how many feet of track I have. It's a bunch!! My layout is larger than many club layouts. And is still "MORPHING".

Bob

I used 3M Heavy Duty double sided tape to affix my track to the foam layer and it holds solidly. This also allows me to do any future modifications to the layout without ruining the track -- I can pry it off with a butter knife.

Regards,
Clinton

Are you talking about the stuff that is like double sided foam? That is the only 3M heavy duty tape I know of. If so, that sounds like an interesting way of doing it. Might give that a try...:cool:

Are you talking about the stuff that is like double sided foam? That is the only 3M heavy duty tape I know of. If so, that sounds like an interesting way of doing it. Might give that a try...:cool:

3M does make a clear double sided tape.

Hardcore computer case modders use it a LOT. Dubbed it the "Tape of the Gods"

3M does make a clear double sided tape.

Hardcore computer case modders use it a LOT. Dubbed it the "Tape of the Gods"

Yes, you are correct, but if I am not mistaken it is not "Heavy Duty" I have never used either one for track, (actually, I haven't used anything yet!) but I would think the clear stuff would not be a good choice if one were to use double stick tape to hold track down.

You could use double sided tape.
If you think about it, it does not need to hold for that long.
Just while testing the track.
Then when you ballast the track, the ballast and white glue you use will hold it better than anything else.

I think you could get tape to work. The only two problems you may run into is that on tight curves it may not be strong enough to keep flex track in place and if you need to take up a section of track it may take the roadbed with it :p.

Well, I tried a few pieces of the 3M heavy duty tape, it seems to work. But is doe leave a small gap between the track and the road bed. I would think, (not sure being new to this) it might cause a problem sooner or later.

mike8693: You are probably right, even though I have never tried flex track, I would think it would not hold over a long period of time.

Don't think I will be using the tape method...:D:D:D

My layout has two elevations, the upper one being blue extruded foam that sits on top of the plywood baseboard. I used 3M Heavy Duty double sided tape to affix my track to the foam layer and it holds solidly. This also allows me to do any future modifications to the layout without ruining the track -- I can pry it off with a butter knife.

I should mention that I'm using pre-ballasted Fleischmann ProfiTrack so there's quite a lot of surface area to affix the tape. Although it should also work on regular track if the tape is attached across several ties. And the tape won't be visible once ballasted over.

Regards,
Clinton

http://thesunnymodelrailroad.blogspot.com
Just saw your post. I looked up 3M double sided tape, and they must make about 100 different kinds! Which kind do you recommend? Maybe there is a number or something on the roll, or what color is the covering? Also, do you use the double sided tape as your roadbed instead of cork or something else?
Thanks,
George

Just saw your post. I looked up 3M double sided tape, and they must make about 100 different kinds! Which kind do you recommend? Maybe there is a number or something on the roll, or what color is the covering? Also, do you use the double sided tape as your roadbed instead of cork or something else?
Thanks,
George

As I recall there was an article back in the early 90's in MR about using double coated foam tape as both a roadbed and to secure the track. Me... I tack in place with Micro engineering spikes until ballasted. Ballast and diluted white glue do the rest

Sorry for the late reply, the email notifications for replies from this forum weren''t working for some reason.

I apologize for not being specific. The tape I used was 3M Exterior Mounting Tape #4011. I'm using track with a molded roadbed so there's plenty of surface area to attach it to the track. It does seem to raise the roadbed up about a mm off the baseboard so I sprinkle scenic turf where the roadbed meets the baseboard which I would do anyway as it adds to the realism.

I also just did a write-up on this on my railroad blog at http://thesunnymodelrailroad.blogspot.com

Cheers,

Clinton

Back