Glue(CA) Hazing

jasonelki

Milwaukee Roader
Anyone know a good way to take off glue hazing without harming the surrounding areas? I put a beacon (details west 106) on a black paint job and it doesn't look very good :eek:

Does the glue haze more when it gets old, or is a function of using too much? Is there a better adhesive to use on small detail parts that cannot be secured from under the shell?

Thanks, and Happy Easter!
Jason

This is clearly a case of using too much CA. Wait until the hazing looks like it has stopped, then touch up the area with black paint.

If the detail is plastic, always use styrene cement. If model is already painted, use a fine pointed knife to clear off the paint where the part goes, and glue in place with the styrene cement. When dry, touch up around the area where the part was glued.

At work we go through Zap super glue by the case and I've never seen hazing. Some applications even use it by the quart. At home I've gotten it from the cheaper BSI super glue but not Zap brand, at least if the bottle is new. I would say it is an older bottle of the cheaper glue causing the hazing.

At work we go through Zap super glue by the case and I've never seen hazing. Some applications even use it by the quart. At home I've gotten it from the cheaper BSI super glue but not Zap brand, at least if the bottle is new. I would say it is an older bottle of the cheaper glue causing the hazing.

ZAP glue is manufactured to work on plastics, most CA glues are not formulated to work properly on plastics thus the hazing. There is no easy way to actually remove the hazing other than covering it up. If you don't want the hazing (which will not actually hurt anything except the appearance) then you have to get a CA that is meant for plastics.

Back