Getting to an upper deck with no helix

I know it can be done. The question is, what is the BEST way. I model West Virginia, so mountains are not a problem to hide the transition, but I don't want a MONSTER grade which will look out of place either. I am figuring no more than 8-10" between shelves for hand room.

What configuration is your layout - "island", around-the-walls, ...? If its the right shape, you might get away with using a "nolix" - a hidden track around the whole periphery of the layout that gradually winds upward or downward.

Around the walls with a peninsula in a 10 x 15 spare bedroom. The 'no-lix' is a good idea, but it will have to be at least partially open, as there is no way to really completely hide it.

I used a no-lix to get up the 5" rise on my layout, all but the apex is hidden in a mountain along the wall. I'm not sure what options you have other than helix or no-lix. You could wind the grade up a mountain, popping in and out of tunnels.

I much prefer nolixes to helixes myself but I saw a neat idea for a partly hidden helix - the curve radius decreased as you went higher and the inner curves of the helix were hidden in mountain tunnels. Perhaps an option if you decide against a nolix.

Back