Getting Shell off of Atlas HO C40-8W

slopes09

Does anybody know the correct procedure for removing the shell of an Atlas HO Dash-8 without damaging anything? A wire must have come loose within the engine as it now only receives current in one direction. I'm confident I can fix whatever the problem may be, if only I could get into the darn engine!

Oh, and there are no directions with the engine, only an isometric exploded drawing of the engine and it's components.

Thanks,
-Mike

Loose wire

Hi Mike
If a wire was loose it wouldn’t work in either direction. Is it DCC? If so that would be decided with in the decoder’s electronics.

NYC_George

The engine is DC, no sound. The wheels are cleaned, but currently, it cannot make it across any electrical gap.

Electrical problems

When you have an electrical problem you start by ruling out things. Do you have any other engines? If so do they have any problems? If they run OK then you can rule out the DC power pack and track which brings you back to the engine. If it runs forward then it should run in reverse. The polarity is changed by the power pack. The current is revered and the motor turns in the opposite direction which turns the gears in reverse. Try this, take the engine and turn it in the opposite direction on the track. I think it should now run in reverse. Give that a try and see what happens. It could be that a wire is loose and only one truck is getting power.

NYC_George

My Atlas shell on my older DC engine has 2 screws at each end of the frame next to the trucks that you have to take out to get the shell off. Whenever only one set of trucks work & the other doesn't is; the flat brass connector that operates the lite for the front of the engine is not contacting the main strip that runs on top of the motor from front to back. Sometimes they get bent. This is only in the DC engines.

Larry

Back