Getting a job on the railroad

NYC_George

I can see that a lot of people on forum would be better off working for the railroad than thier present job. They be happier doing something they liked. If you lived in or around Brewster, NY in the mid 1960's railroad jobs were easy to come by. Seven people on my street alone were or had been railroad engineers and the street isn't that long. All the young people had been drafted and the railroad needed help. Even if you started as a car cleaner you could move up very fast. If you were lucky enough to get a fireman or engineer's job you were in for a 12 hour day, but who cares if you liked your job. I don't work there anymore but most of my friends still do. They all hired out like I did in the late 60's and will all be retiring soon. When I told my union I be retiring this year they said please stay around a few more years. I guess all the baby boomers are getting ready to retire and jobs will be opening and a lot will be railroad jobs. So why not apply? They have very good benefits and you get every thing at 60 years old.

NYC_George

George,

It's interesting you should mention that. There's a thread on one of the 'big' forums (MR or Atlas) where the consensus seems to be, "If you work in a RR job you lose interest in the MRR hobby." Doesn't seem to have affected you that way though! :D

I'm within 15 years of retirement myself, otherwise I'd give it some serious thought. Don't know if I'd want to work for CSX though after all I been hearing about their management...

Hi Ken I left in 1981. The 12 hours days were to much for me to handle, but like I said all my friends are getting ready to retire soon. Everything here is mostly passenger. I worked for Metro North which is part of the New York City's MTA and once in a while you were called for a Conrail freight job off the extra list. There has to be room for a lot of people here soon. I guess it would be the same all over the country. Although one of my friends hired out on CSX about 5 years ago as a conductor and only lasted 18 months before he was back working on high rises. He said, to many hours for the same pay I be making in 8 hours. But if you like railroading then it may be different. Here in New York Metro North pays your pension and health care for life when you retire at 60. Very few company's are doing either any more. I just thought maybe it would be a good idea to apply.
About the hobby. I wouldn't say you loose interest. A lot of the engineer's I know are into it.

NYC_George

I always thought about it, but then thought about the conflict of intersts from modling to the real thing. CSX has been hiring alot in Indianapols and Lafayette areas the last couple of years. I guess it was like a lottery system where you could only work for so long or if your number came up. Really can't remember what the exact deal was, but it kind of seemed like a temp to hire which really didn't appeal to me, but I really got seriously thinking about it. Then I realise I couldn't afford the schooling since I have a baby girl, house, wife, etc. The hours was another thing I wasn't interested in and being on constant call due to being the little guy on the totem pole wasn't turning me on either. A lot of IF's about it and IF I was going to do it I would have shot for it right after high school twenty years ago instead of joining the navy.

A railroader's lawn

One day my friend and I went to play golf in Maybrook, NY. A big New Haven Railroad town. As we passed through town my friend replied you can tell it's a railroad town all right by all the over grown lawns. No one's ever home to mow them. He hit the nail right on the head. Railroad crews are almost never home. Most of the time their sitting on a diesel for hours waiting for a signal to turn. Now my uncle loved it. He'd rather be on a 12 hour freight job than be home. I just think it's the right job for someone who likes railroading.

Back in the 1980s I was told in an interview with Trainmaster David Morgan of Norfolk Southern that they had a policy of not hiring rail fans or people that expressed an interest in trains. Seems the NS's way of thinking is that when they hire people that like trains things come up missing (a direct quote). Over the last 9 years of working with the crews and being around the yard offices, I'm glad they didn't hire me because I like trains.

George,

It's interesting you should mention that. There's a thread on one of the 'big' forums (MR or Atlas) where the consensus seems to be, "If you work in a RR job you lose interest in the MRR hobby." Doesn't seem to have affected you that way though! :D

I'm within 15 years of retirement myself, otherwise I'd give it some serious thought. Don't know if I'd want to work for CSX though after all I been hearing about their management...

A friend of mine is an engineer for a belt railway workin 5 days a week and when he isnt at work or sleeping he is workin on his model railroad and on his weekends he also works at the local touritst railroad maintaining a steam locomotive.

Funny thing with me is I worked for railroads and now contract to them, and have my own business selling railway equipment and cars. I still love the "wee beasties" in the basement, but I don't get too excited sitting by the tracks for hours just to see another SD40 roll by.
It is fun to take someone for a ride down the rails and see the look in their eyes tho.

My late friend was a yardmaster in Buffalo in the eighties.The pressure from his job along with a bad heart killed him . Not everything is as good as it looks !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer screen engines

Speaking of meeting some one. Before I got laid off a few weeks ago a batch of new electricians came on the job. I asked one who I was working by if he was going to retire soon. He said yes but not from here, from Metro North. I been with the railroad 34 years at Croton Harmon. That's Metro North's big shop. I told him I was an engineer there in 1981 and there was no way I could remember all the bulletin orders one has to read in the morning be for departing. Like single tracking today , be prepare to stop at flag man's instruction at such an such location. He said, you don't have to remember anything anymore. Every engine at least in Metro North's region has a computer screen. All that kind of stuff is programmed into the computer. You pull the throttle out and push the throttle in, that's it.

NYC_George

Maybe you remember him. His name was George Martin . Counldn't ask for a nicer and more generous person.

I just retired from the Norfolk Southern at the end of January. I worked in the Signal Dept. for 31+ years and the pay and benefits were good. That said, railroads can be difficult, dangerous and dirty places to work and railroads companies can be very difficult to work for. The Norfolk Southern has a reputation for being a hard case even among other railroads. I survived them though and if one is looking for long term employment, railroads are among the few businesses offering it today.

Interesting comment about if you work on RR you loose your interest in MRR. I once had a friend whos father owned a railroad and his collection and layout was amazing. I guess this does not go for everyone but I can see how it would make sense. Its like bringing work home! Although I guess you really never do work when you do something you love.

Back