Gettin Started

Jannie

Care to share what/how/when/where/who etc got you into Modelrailroading?!

My interest began somewhere in '87 when I saw a program on TV about model railroading & I was hooked (at that time I was only 5yrs old).....my parents got me a Marklin trainset for Christmas in '88 (which I still have till this day)...the pic is that of the Marklin loco,which now holds a place on my new layout ;)

I learned about model railroading reading encyclopedias after school. The M volume was pretty cool. I didn't get my first models until jr high, didn't do much in high school and really got started in college. It even lead to a career as an achitectural model maker and later (currently) a model maker for a stop motion movie studio.

I worked for a toy & hobby distributor in Miami, Fl. in 1961 & the owner told me if I wanted to get a train layout going I could buy all my stuff at cost. he needed someone in the company w/a layout for pictures to put on his catalog front covers. So. I started an HO scale layout on a 4ft by 22ft table w/an "L" table at the end for a turn-around.
I got a lot of nice steam(Rivarossi)engines at cost. He supplied all of the buildings & scenery for free. I took pictures as I started on the layout & finished it in 2 years.
After I finished it they went out of business & the house I was renting sold & I had to move. Took me about a week to take the layout apart.

Back